We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip drives around Progreso

Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Day trip drives around Progreso

Going to Progress in 2 weeks. Will have a rental car. Has anyone driven the loop from Progreso to X Tampu to Dzibel Chaltun to Izmal to Ake to Merida to Progreso. Wondering what the roads are like, the time required, and what those towns might be like. Looking for recommendations on 1/2 day and full day trips.

6 replies to this topic
Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Day trip drives around Progreso

I assume you are not wanting to visit all of those locations in one day. Izamal, for example, is worth half-a-day while a visit to Merida could last a whole day. I would recommend going to Merida on a Sunday when you can enjoy the bici-ruta (streets closed for cycling) and other festive activities in the Centro. It's primarily a morning activity (peaks 1000-1200) so you probably wouldn't want to do anything else that day. If you go to Merida any other day then you can stop at Dzibilchaltún on the way since it lies in between Progreso and Merida. The road connecting Progreso and Merida is a fast, modern, highway.

I have never heard of X'Tampu. Google Maps tells me this is a name of a private residence near Telchac Puerto. Hence, I assume you are talking about the X'Cambo archaeological site. It is a small site that will take you an hour at most to visit. It is about 20 minutes from Progreso along the well-maintained coastal highway. You could go there in the morning, look around the lagoon for flamingos, visit the ruin, then head into Telchac Puerto for lunch. You could push onto Izamal if you want for the afternoon and evening.

Regardless, when you go to Izamal, I would opt for the route through Telchac Puerto, which will be a calmer drive than the routes suggested by Google Maps, which have you skirting Merida. You could stop in Motul on the way, which has a nice cenote in the middle of town. Also, you could stop at the market to eat where Huevos Motuleños was invented. It is an egg dish eaten all over Mexico. As I said, I like Izamal but probably half-a-day is enough. Although a bit out of the way, you could visit Homun after Izamal, which has many cenotes. I am familiar with and recommend the complex called Santa Barbara.

I don't know anything about Ake.

Of course, there are a ton of places south of Merida worth visiting, including many archaeological sites like Uxmal and Mayapan, haciendas like Sotuta de Peon and Temozon Sur, and more cenotes like Kankirixche.

Edmonton, Alta.
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: Day trip drives around Progreso

The beach drive between Progreso & Telchac is quite nice. Just outside of Progreso(to the east) is a set of small cenotes called El Corchito. Then past Chicxulub, about 5 km, is Uymitun & it has a small lookout spot for flamingos (it is free) Then closer to Telchak is Xambo, and in the past it was free. Roads are very good in this area, I have driven them a few times

Norfolk, Virginia
3 posts
3. Re: Day trip drives around Progreso

Sun3994 is the area easy to navigate using gps like google maps ?

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Day trip drives around Progreso

If you have data avilability you can use google maps. Other option is pre download the required info. Nevertheless, all the area is well signed, the roads are in good condition, is a safe zone and all the locals are friendly. I really encourage to explore the area, not only the coastal zone.

Good trips.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
105 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Day trip drives around Progreso

The roads between Progreso and Izamal are good. You have to drive to Merida, take the ringroad and then on to Izamal. You'll find the roads outside of Merida to be good and practically empty.

Izamal can easily take a whole day if you enjoy just wandering around taking in the atmosphere. https:/… will give you an idea of what to do there.

Dzibilchaltun is a ruin about thirty mins from Merida, it can also take most of a day. https:/… for a list of more amazing ruins and some quick info about them.

Don't forget to give Merida a couple of days too. It is absolutely stunning and always has interesting cultural stuff going on at the weekend. You won't regret it if you spend a few days here, I promise. (I live here so might be biased!)

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
158 posts
6. Re: Day trip drives around Progreso

Under the artificial yellow color of the edifices and houses of Izamal there is a natural ,historic and fresh white color in Izamal.

Reply to: Day trip drives around Progreso
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted