We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 nights in Merida suggestions on what to see

Riberac, France
Level Contributor
234 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
6 nights in Merida suggestions on what to see

Hi we are driving from cancun and have booked a hotel as a base for 6 nights.

We have a car, and would like to visit interesting sites

Any advise please on were to go in the town and day trips in the surrounding area

Never been before and would like to see some Mexican life and history. We are there in may this year

Thanks in advance

Skip-the-Line Entrance Ticket to...
12 Reviews
from US$ 14.95*
Free Cancellation
Chichen Itza Day Trip from Cancun
1,438 Reviews
from US$ 64.50*
Free Cancellation
Full-Day Guided Tour of Chichen Itza...
221 Reviews
from US$ 49.00*
Free Cancellation
19 replies to this topic
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,065 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 nights in Merida suggestions on what to see

Really, I would not plan much in advance. So many things always happening in Merida and you will find many resources to help you find them. I would wait and not over plan. To me, a car can be a negative for Merida itself. Parking can be a problem so be sure you have booked a place with free parking available.

Mentioned in this post
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
Cape Cod
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 nights in Merida suggestions on what to see

First, it is going to be chaud! Tres chaud! Based on that, I'll take a different position from Robert and say that you will find the car with air conditioning (make sure it works) to be a blessing. Far better than walking in that heat.

Day trips also will be hot, especially touring the ruins, which I recommend. Day trips would include:

Uxmal and the Puuc sites (Labna, Kabah, Sayil, Loltun). That's a full day and then some.

Chichen Itza, Valladolid, Ek Balam. Another full day plus.

Celestun, to see flamingos. Most of a day and nice to be at the coast.

Weekend in Merida, with plenty to do and see and experience.

There's five of your six days.

Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Kabah
Kabah
213 Reviews
Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico
Chichen Itza
Chichen Itza
21,792 Reviews
Chichen Itza, Mexico
Valladolid
Valladolid
Yucatan, Mexico
Celestun
Celestun
286 Reviews
Merida, Mexico
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
249 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 nights in Merida suggestions on what to see

RobertSDF gave good advice, as you’ll find an absolute overflow of interesting places and activities in the city and surrounding area. The free publication Yucatan Today, available all over the city, is a good source of info and useful maps. They have a website if you want to start getting some ideas. Just two not to be missed - Uxmal ruins and bici-ruta Sunday. Have a great trip.

Mentioned in this post
Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,442 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 nights in Merida suggestions on what to see

I'll second the suggestion for perusing the Yucatan Today magazine (http://www.yucatantoday.com). They give descriptions of many places to visit in the state though a little deeper research will turn up even more places.

Mentioned in this post
pittsburgh
Level Contributor
131 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 nights in Merida suggestions on what to see

My family just left Merida, and they stayed for seven nights. They spent one day at Chichen Itza, one day visiting the cenotes, one day at the main market (Galvez) and shopping, one day (Sunday) seeing the entertainment in centro, several days just hanging around swimming (we have a pool heater), and one day just walking around the city. We went to Santiago on Tuesday to listen to the band; we went into Centro to eat downtown on Thursday and Friday when the streets are closed. We ate at 130º, the Bistro at the Mansion, Ave del Paraiso, Wayan'e, Parillia, La Reina (on Tuesday night when the band plays), La Lupita for cochinita on Sunday morning, and Galvez market for the tacos and shrimp cocktail (for me). My niece was somewhat grossed out over the flies at the market, but I'm used to them and I have never gotten sick from any food at the markets.

Mentioned in this post
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
Ave Del Paraiso
Ave Del Paraiso
268 Reviews
Merida, Mexico
Wayan'e
Wayan'e
152 Reviews
Merida, Mexico
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
315 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 nights in Merida suggestions on what to see

A couple of suggestions that I enjoyed while in Merida:

Dzibilchaltun - beautiful ruins about thirty minutes outside of Merida. A nice half-day trip.

Museo de Arte Popular- modern art museum in Merida. Friendly staff and interesting Mexican modern art exhibits. Takes about an hour to leisurely see all the exhibits. I believe it was free admission

Mentioned in this post
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
Museo de Arte Popular
Museo de Arte Popular
152 Reviews
Merida, Mexico
Riberac, France
Level Contributor
234 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 nights in Merida suggestions on what to see

Hi all and bonjour, thanks so much for all your great comments, we will be in town over the weekend, can anyone tell me about live music, and markets,

Glad it will be tres Chaud looking forward to it.

How do we book to see the ruins can we just turn up or is there a tourist information

Merci thanks

Riberac, France
Level Contributor
234 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 nights in Merida suggestions on what to see

Will be staying at the Knox 57 art hotel, its meant to be walking distance to the centre

Riberac, France
Level Contributor
234 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 nights in Merida suggestions on what to see

Hi all and bonjour, thanks so much for all your great comments, we will be in town over the weekend, can anyone tell me about live music, and markets,

Glad it will be tres Chaud looking forward to it.

How do we book to see the ruins can we just turn up or is there a tourist information

Merci thanks

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,065 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 6 nights in Merida suggestions on what to see

On the weekend, Merida is full places to listen to music and buy crafts. Many of the streets in the center or shut down to make it vendor and pedestrian-friendly.

Two of my favorite places for live music and local food and crafts are the Noche Mexicana on Saturday night at the start of the Paseo Montejo and Santa Lucia Park on Sunday afternoons for good music with live music and dancing.

As far as tours to the ruins, very easy to book once you are here. If you do need assistance you will find two Tourist offices on the main Square.

Mentioned in this post
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
Hotel Montejo
Hotel Montejo
85 Reviews
Merida, Mexico
Reply to: 6 nights in Merida suggestions on what to see
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted