We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reporting live...

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
26 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Reporting live...

Sitting on a hammock on the balcony of my room at hotel la joya!! Enjoyed grump tacos at Bally hoo yesterday, an awesome spear fishing lesson from some locals on our private beach (ending with me slurping a conch esophagus!!! Ew!), dinner at la joya and my first ceviche- huge fan! Love this little hotel so much that I am furiously trying to reschedule my plans to allow one more day here and one less in playa! Thanks for all the help. Heading to playa Norte in search of Maria :) What would you get for lunch if you were me? ;)

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,175 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reporting live...

I would go straight to Ixchel's beach on Playa Norte and order curried chicken skewers with peanut sauce and mango salsa. The guac is terrific too. If you do decide to go there make sure you sit in Ixchel's section so that their restaurant, Kalak, serves you. Otherwise you can end up at Palapa Leydi's beach club, which is nice too but I don't think they'll serve you food from kalak, but maybe they can. I'm not sure how that whole systems works. We always ordered from Ixchel waiters.

Glad you love the hotel; I always thought it was really beautiful. Everything sounds great but I'm not sure I'd be a fan of conch esophagus.

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
26 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reporting live...

Supposedly it's an aphrodisiac... So maybe you might! Haha :)

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
26 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reporting live...

And by grump I mean shrimp, obviously ;)

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,406 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reporting live...

Mmm, of all the esophagi, conch is my favorite. ;-)

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Reporting live...

A "conch esophagus", yummy! I agree with DM. When in Isla, never leave home without some lime! Could you tell us more about spear fishing? I'd love to try that.

New Carlisle, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reporting live...

We'll be @ La Joya in about 2 months. Save us some of that delicious aphrodisiac conch esophagus!

; )

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
26 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reporting live...

There is a private little beach on the hotel and while I was out snorkeling a young guy (20?) snorkelers by with a net full of conch and lobster. He was really friendly, despite te language barrier I understood he wanted me to put on my mask and follow him. Then all the sudden he was using his little spear to try to get the fish. I think a lot of locals must do that on this side of the island because I've seen several people out there with the little spears.

TX
Level Contributor
5,732 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reporting live...

LOL @ "grump" tacos. I think I've had a few of those when I was NOT on Isla. ;-)

9. Re: Reporting live...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2014, 09:48
Get answers to your questions about Isla Mujeres