We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone ever stayed at the Na Balam?

NJ
Level Contributor
262 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone ever stayed at the Na Balam?

How was your experience there? Any tips or advice about the hotel or surrounding areas appreciated! 3 more weeks! I can't wait!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,229 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone ever stayed at the Na Balam?

I have never stayed there but on the plane back to Chicago when we went in February a guy that sat next to us stayed there . He was part of a wedding party. His stay and the bride and grooms stay was not very pleasant. There room was robbed and they think the guilty party was the hotel security person.

When they walked into there room they seen the guy in the room acting very nervous and surprised to see them.

He mumbled something in spanish and left. When they looked around the room they discovered a missing camera and other items they foolishly left out after a night of partying.

I am not saying it was the security guy but only posting what the guy told us.

Many people stay there and have a great time by the reviews and others not so great.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,176 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone ever stayed at the Na Balam?

Depends on which building you are staying in. The beach side is much better; the pool side tends to be dark with minimal furnishings. A small road divides the two buildings and rooms in the pool side are cheaper.

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
591 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone ever stayed at the Na Balam?

Stayed their a few times many years ago. At that time the rooms were "tired". Don't know if they are now refurbished but it was pricey for the age of the rooms. Guess it's about location. Stayed on both sides, beach side being better.

They also never seemed to have enough towels. Maybe it has improved. I did love the location.

Seneca Falls, New...
Level Contributor
224 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone ever stayed at the Na Balam?

We stayed there a couple of years ago, I wrote a detailed review that you could check out. We were not really thrilled with it, but the location was really nice. I also liked the beach location better than some of the others. The rooms were so-so, we stayed on the ocean side. It's about a 5 minute walk (depending on how able you are) to the downtown area. Last year we stayed at Posada del Mar, not impressed at all, actually pretty disgusted. I wrote a review for that place too. This year we're staying at Ixchel.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
353 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone ever stayed at the Na Balam?

Loved it when it was $80usd a nite and included breakfast. It was super basic but very tranquil.

I stayed 30+ times from 1995-2004. Major management changes in 09 and all my amigos left and work mostly at Brisas grill now.

Was touring the property 3 weeks ago. Looked about same room wise but Fenix now sort of splits the hotel and common areas are much fancier than back in the day. As for security it's always good to lock everything up in safe assuming they still provide them in the rooms??

I think you will have fun as the beach location is super and be sure to lock up your stuff.

Get a room on beach side and if your room does not suit you ask to change or better yet look at a few rooms before checking in officially.

Mike

6. Re: Has anyone ever stayed at the Na Balam?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2014, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Isla Mujeres