We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best bars/places to hang when raining?

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
819 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Best bars/places to hang when raining?

Looks like definite storms a couple of the days we'll be there starting with our first full day on Thursday.

I know the forecast may change and the weather may end up being perfect- it was dry for the entire 2 weeks we were there last year even though 30% chance of rain was predicted daily. But- there are some disturbances on the horizon so storms will more than likely push through Isla this time around.

Where is your ideal place to hang out in the event of heavy downpours (other than hotel)? Looking for a neat spot to pass the time and to avoid actually sitting in the rain or having to walk through flooded streets. (I'm a witch so I melt). We'll have a cart.

I'm not worried at all. Just planning ahead for when/if it does become a rainy day. :)

NY
Level Contributor
272 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best bars/places to hang when raining?

30% chance of rain could mean a passing, 10 min thunderstorm :)

Pelham, Canada
Level Contributor
194 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best bars/places to hang when raining?

We spent the afternoon in a torrential downpour at Ballyhoo. What a hoot watching all the fishermen standing under the roof of one boat drinking beer and laughing. Don't forget the fish tacos, either. One of the trip highlights!

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
819 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best bars/places to hang when raining?

Yep, fully aware what the 30% means- that's what the forecast was everyday last year and it was sunny and dry every day. It's when it's forecasted for 60% with up to .8 inches that rain may *possibly* be imminent for a longer period of time during the day. This is not a post about the weather what-ifs- anyway, don't get me wrong. I just would like to know where you like to chill when it rains if you are willing to share. :)

Thanks JMH- my first thought was BallyHoos, but we'll be there on Sunday prior to the sunset cruise.

Does anybody know if the Joint has a good roof/palapa?

Also, I figure, if the winds get strong enough there will be some decent sea glass booty after the storms pass. I guess I could also use that time for a workout in the gym, but 12-16 oz curls with a view sounds much more fun.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,957 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best bars/places to hang when raining?

We were just talking about this last night! One of our most memorable and fun days was the day it rained so hard the streets flooded. We put on shorts, crocks and our raincoat and off we went in the POURING down rain., walking the street. It was a blast. We went to the tin roof vendor at the northeast corner of the town and shopped get the rainy day special as we were the only ones there. Then off two main street and finally lunch at Qubano Restaurant for one (or more) of Vivian's mojitos and a great lunch.

It was fun to watch the town clean up from the massive down pour.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
752 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best bars/places to hang when raining?

If you want to be right at the beach, I wonder if Buhos palapa bar is open? Its quite large and covered and I think would be a much more fun place if crowds gathered (and the service improved lol). I would also imagine that the Soggy Peso probably gets jammed up on rainy days...you could always hope it would be wing day :) I don't think the Joint is covered enough...the tables just have umbrellas and I think the new sitting area is not that large and you might get wet. There's a nice bar on the main road, I can never remember the name of it, but there are always live bands and it is VERY covered, so much in fact that we hardly go there because we like the sun...good luck !

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,406 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best bars/places to hang when raining?

If its a rainy weekend I'd head to one of the places with live music--Chuuk Kay, Casa de los Suenos, Bahia Tortuga, etc. In fact, on a weeend I'd probably head to one of those regardless of the weather.

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
686 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best bars/places to hang when raining?

We have had a good time "stranded" by weather at Buho's more than once..With the Big Palapa now, many people from the beach seek shelter there. A happy crowd. I have also tried to time leaving between showers from Bahia Tortuga and the Soggy Peso....with finishing my drink....dang that's tricky, ... and was fun. Have been at Iguana's watching rain outside the palapa and staying dry. It is pretty quick to catch a cab at those three west side bars...from Buho's takes a lil longer & usually a short walk. A rain cape tucked in a bag helps...people use garbage bags in a pinch. It is dry season so odds are in your favor to stay dry, but weather is always unpredictible here & planning to have fun rain or shine sounds like a great idea!

8. Re: Best bars/places to hang when raining?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2014, 09:48
Get answers to your questions about Isla Mujeres