We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pinch Me I'm Dreaming - Trip Report w/ Pictures

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
373 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Pinch Me I'm Dreaming - Trip Report w/ Pictures

Hello All -

I won't really call this a Trip Report, I'll call it my Dream Report.

Like most dreams are, a bit foggy and jumbled, and where "Time" seems to be unimportant - My first trip to Isla Mujeres I was in a dream-like state I'd say. Which is odd for me, because we are blessed to be able to travel quite a bit. And especially since traveling to the Riviera Maya is not new to us. We've been to the Yucatan, maybe 11 or 12 times over the past 6 or 7 years and our eyes have seen the turquoise water and we've felt the soft white sand. But for some odd reason, this trip to Isla, I was more relaxed.... more "dreamy" than any of our other trips.

I look back on our trip, and I don't really remember all the different types of meals we had, or the names of some of the restaurants, or the street names... all I know is I was instantly in a trance. A wonderful, relaxed, happy, dream. I had fallen in love with this tiny, charming little island, and all I know is I want to keep going back.

So on June 4th, we're heading back, this time with our 3 kids (21, 16 & 13) and some friends.

So in the meantime, I've been pouring over my "Dream" trip photos, that were taken in February of 2012, and I'd like to share some of my favorite pictures of my dream. (In no particular order, as dreams often are).

We stayed at Ixchel Beach Hotel on Playa Norte on the bottom floor, ocean front (110/109) and I can't say enough about this particular unit and hotel It's perfection. I've reviewed about it in case anyone wants to read about the details.

The interior was top notch, A number one.

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_8101.jpg

The view, and relaxing feel from the patio was.....well......dreamy.

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_8103.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_8106.jpg

The ground floor allowed us to just walk right out, and within seconds, we're standing here. Again, I'm in La-La Land.

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_8523.jpg

Our first night there, was a bit chilly, as you can see. A storm was churning and there was seaweed on the beach but we didn't care. We were still in heaven.

…photobucket.com/albums/…2012-02-12171107.jpg

Hubby was acting silly he was so happy.

…photobucket.com/albums/…2012-02-12170917.jpg

The sunsets were spectacular every night after that. The cold front had disappeared, and it was glorious every day after.

…photobucket.com/albums/…2012-02-14174124.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…2012-02-14174201.jpg

If you can get past my "crazy lady hair" you can picture what a glorious way to watch the sunset every evening.

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_8582.jpg

Just stunning nightly sunsets.

…photobucket.com/albums/…2012-02-12171540.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_8573.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_8690.jpg

Staying at Ixchel was perfect for us, as we would wake up, grab our Market bag, and off we'd go to the Market or to the Super Express grocery store, or a "beer run". It's a great way to watch the island come to life.

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_8555.jpg

We fell in love with the market and all the glorious colors!

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_8470.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_8469.jpg

Oh, and the Super Express bakery choices. I think I overdosed on Carbs/Bread that week. I was like a kid in a candy store. Or like a Woman in a Bread Store. (all the women will understand what that means).

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_8209.jpg

Oh, and the nightly Banana and Nutella Cart. I loved the little lady who had the towel on her head.

…photobucket.com/albums/…2012-02-12195948.jpg

And the nightly Food Vendors in front of the Super Express. I was in heaven.

…photobucket.com/albums/…2012-02-12200029.jpg

I think my favorite night, was the night we stopped and watched a Mens basketball game by the Church - across from the Super Express. We were traveling with another couple, and they picked one team, and my husband and I picked the other team, and we sat in the stands cheering them on - "in English" of course. It was so funny because the coach was pumping them up in Spanish, and here we were, shouting "Go Go Go..... SHOOT, SHOOT....Take it slow! Rebound!" I think they got a kick out of us, either that, or they thought we were crazy annoying, because both teams kept looking up at us. Nevertheless, we had a blast watching them.

…photobucket.com/albums/…2012-02-13200355.jpg

Most mornings either lead us to Breakfast on our Ixchel Patio:

…photobucket.com/albums/…DSC00386.jpg

OR at Alexia Y Giovanni's.

…photobucket.com/albums/…2012-02-16115153.jpg

Our golf cart ride resulted in my very favorite picture of our entire trip. My friend and I were sitting in the back of the golf cart, and I got this shot as we rounded the corner. The children's faces are priceless.

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_8451.jpg

The colors of the island are breathtaking.

…photobucket.com/albums/…2012-02-12145905.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…2012-02-16123420.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_8191.jpg

Oh and the Fishermen by Bally Hoo's. I could sit and watch them for hours. Messing with their boats, and their nets, and standing and talking to each other.

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_8182.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_8165.jpg

One golf cart excursion lead us to Playa Loncheros for their famous Tix Nix. A MUST for anyone's trip to Isla. It was such a wonderful relaxing afternoon, sitting on the beach, having a margarita and eating some incredible fish.

…photobucket.com/albums/…DSC00108.jpg

Again with the Crazy Lady Hair. I really must do something about that.

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_8386.jpg

Oh, and we stopped to see Isla Animals. We took some dog collars and leashes, and we'll do the same in June when we go there. What a wonderful organization Allison has created for the animals.

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_8632.jpg

I can't say enough about Playa Norte. The water is so clear, the blue colors are indescribable, the sand is as soft as flour, and again, it was like I was in a dream. We just gazed out into the water, and most times, just said nothing.

…photobucket.com/albums/…DSC00137.jpg

We were pretty dag-gum happy.

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_8785.jpg

Hubby was acting silly.

I don't know how far you can walk out into the water and it's only waist deep. Little or no waves, make the water memorizing.

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_8790.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_8782.jpg

My little friend Maria Lopez selling her Pepitas. Such a precious smile. I think this picture almost tops the one of the children I posted above.

…photobucket.com/albums/…DSC00135.jpg

On our last night, we stopped in Mocambos for a nightcap, and met the nicest waiter. I wish I would have remembered his name. I don't even know if he's still there or not. Maybe one of the TA experts knows him. He was just so darling.

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_8467.jpg

So, for those of you who have been to Isla, you know what I mean when I say I felt like I was in a Dream. I think my first trip to Isla Mujeres was the very first time in my 51 years that I really just Lost myself.

Well, Isla, I can hardly wait until June 4th, so I can enter that wonderful, glorious Dream once again.

Hubby and I can't wait.

…photobucket.com/albums/…DSC00099.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…2012-02-14174124.jpg

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Pinch Me I'm Dreaming - Trip Report w/ Pictures

Love, love, love this post! You will be arriving on my birthday so have a drink for me ha ha! Loved the pictures!!

Colorado
Level Contributor
282 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Pinch Me I'm Dreaming - Trip Report w/ Pictures

Confirmed we are staying in 2609/2610! Can't wait!

Although to be honest , i'm getting a but nervous having never been there re: the following: Is it super busy in early June? As of late, we have rented houses in some very quiet, laid back locations like Eleuthera and we are definitely not interested in a Cancun-like vibe.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Pinch Me I'm Dreaming - Trip Report w/ Pictures

Isla is not busy in June it's my favorite time to visit because the crowds are down from the high season, but there are still plenty of people to sit and chat or have a drink with. There is never a time when the Isla vibe is ever like the one in Cancun. They are worlds apart in terms of the vibe.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
373 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Pinch Me I'm Dreaming - Trip Report w/ Pictures

Heidi - Did you end up reserving with Cindy or did you go through VRBO? From the pictures I've seen, you're gonna love that unit...it looks fabulous!! What are your dates again? We might be there the same time.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Pinch Me I'm Dreaming - Trip Report w/ Pictures

Thanks for this report SallyLulu. Makes me remember why I love this island!!

Colorado
Level Contributor
282 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Pinch Me I'm Dreaming - Trip Report w/ Pictures

We will be there June 3rd through 12th, and we booked directly through the owners! I am excited! I think we will be there when you are there. You may have to show us around! As I said, we've probably been to Mexico over 20 times but mostly to Akumal, Siaan Kaan, Tulum and Cozumel areas, and have never been to Isla. We are excited to see the whale sharks as that is something we haven't done, and are thrilled that there is a little town to walk into for restaurants etc. We were a little isolated when we rented a house on Eleuthera this past Christmas, so this convenience will be great!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
373 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Pinch Me I'm Dreaming - Trip Report w/ Pictures

Heidi you will fall in love. And yes, we're there June 4th to the 11th. Very exciting. Looks like you have about 36 days if I count correctly!!! Hope to see you on Isla!

Hammond
Level Contributor
204 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Pinch Me I'm Dreaming - Trip Report w/ Pictures

Children 21 and 16, did you 2 start at 10? You guys don't look old enough to have a 21 yo! Thanks for sharing your trip pictures, we'll be there June 25th for 4 nights.

Boston
Level Contributor
604 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Pinch Me I'm Dreaming - Trip Report w/ Pictures

Great trip report and pictures! I think we all have that same crazy hair after being on the beach all day :)

Pen Argyl...
Level Contributor
369 posts
Save Reply
40. Re: Pinch Me I'm Dreaming - Trip Report w/ Pictures

that was the best report ever, nicely done with the pictures & we agree with you totally, Isla is a dreamy place, love it & miss it always, nice to see how you appreciate all the little things of the island, we do to, even just the colors & we think the natives there are the most friendly.....want to go back now...thanks again