We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tough to get cabs from Centro to Sac Bajo and reverse?

Gary, Indiana
Level Contributor
882 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Tough to get cabs from Centro to Sac Bajo and reverse?

Looking at some properties around Sac Bajo. Is it impossible to get taxis from this area? I really don't want to have a cart the whole time. I may want to have some drinks at some point and not drive.

Thoughts?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,738 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tough to get cabs from Centro to Sac Bajo and reverse?

There are more taxis on the southern end of the island than you might expect, particularly on major roads and at the larger hotels. When we stayed in La Gloria we realized we could have easily taken cabs back and forth to Centro. If you don't mind walking out to a major road you'll be fine. Or, if you find a cab you like, most of them will give you their cell # and you can call them directly.

One such driver is Plutarco (Plu): cell is 998-145-9747.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
361 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tough to get cabs from Centro to Sac Bajo and reverse?

I stayed out on Sac Bajo, and never had a problem getting a taxi. I would just go out to the road just in front of where I was staying and start walking....within a minute or two a taxi would come along - coming either from Villa Rolandi after dropping off a fare, or going towards there in hopes of a fare! They will slow down and ask if you need a taxi....and do a u-turn if needed. My last day there the driver asked me when I was leaving, and offered to come back first thing in the morning to pick me up for the ferry....he was there on the dot!

Gary, Indiana
Level Contributor
882 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tough to get cabs from Centro to Sac Bajo and reverse?

Thanks all. I think I am a bit out of the way though. I am looking at the Villa quinta ixchel which is sort of in the middle of that land that juts out. A bit of a ways from Rolandi I think. I have not been down there in about 6-7 years.

Gary, Indiana
Level Contributor
882 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tough to get cabs from Centro to Sac Bajo and reverse?

Strike that. I guess I am not too far from Rolandi looking at the map.

That'll work.

Cheers!

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tough to get cabs from Centro to Sac Bajo and reverse?

We stayed out at Cristalmar for years and never had a problem getting a taxi. There are a lot more now than there used to be.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
221 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tough to get cabs from Centro to Sac Bajo and reverse?

While I haven't waited for a taxi too long to get into town, many of them don't want to pick up a person that might be wet. (I don't blame them.) I did have one driver pull out his floor mat, shake it off, and let me sit on it. Sometimes, I have to go to the taxi stand near the ferry to get a cab with plastic seats. I always tell myself that the walking is good for me!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,123 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tough to get cabs from Centro to Sac Bajo and reverse?

When we stayed at VR there were always lots of cabs lined up outside and/or driving by but only until the Dolphin Discovery place was open. Once that closed for the evening, cabs become much scarcer and we had to wait about 15 minutes for one around 7:30 at night, and that's after VR called one for us. So in the evening after 6:30 or so, it's not as easy to catch one, at least in my experience.

8. Re: Tough to get cabs from Centro to Sac Bajo and reverse?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 14:47