We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couldn't help but stop back in and say HI!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
205 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Couldn't help but stop back in and say HI!

I miss you all so much and want to come see everyone on IM this July, but my wife of 29 years seems to be on a bucket tear to ONLY go to places in the world she has not yet been... so this year it probably is gonna be Cozumel?

That said, I look at our pics from last year and daily at my now bare ring finger only to smile for hours at a time. I can only hope that the sale of my gifted wedding ring helped that young mom on the beach to feed/clothe her two babies and not go towards something less motherly. ;)

Still, I don't regret anything and remember every minute of my visit to IM with joy and graditude to those I met who helped to make our vacation one of the best we've ever had in our long lives. :)

So, hola, to our friends here on TA and on IM!!!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couldn't help but stop back in and say HI!

Hola right back at ya!

We always face the same dilemma. Do we return to someplace we know we love, or do we continue to explore new places? Last year, we split 9 nights up between Cozumel, Akumal and Isla. The diving in Cozumel is superb--truly world class--and we liked the choices for food. It's much larger than Isla but still small enough to have that small-town feel. Akumal was a great base for exploring Tulum and Coba. But not much going on in Akumal itself. We snuck back to Isla for 2 nights, and it felt like "home" to us. So yes, we'll continue to explore but know we'll keep coming back. Belize and Roatan are calling to us. But we'll always have Isla Mujeres.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
205 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Couldn't help but stop back in and say HI!

We loved Belize(AC) too but we can't afford what we did to visit there anymore and Mexico is more our speed, economically. Probably gonna have to go further south to Costa Rica when we retire if we want old style Mexico comfort and security too? Sad, but the drug scum is ruining the best of what Mexico is for everyone. :(

Heard that IM has now started to be impacted by the cartels too but not anywhere near what the mainland, Cabo and Cancun is experiencing.

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
5,782 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Couldn't help but stop back in and say HI!

I go to Cabo 3 times a year and have not heard of any problems there.

In fact they are hosting the world financial G-20 summit in June.

Edited: 05 May 2012, 00:54
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Couldn't help but stop back in and say HI!

For retirement purposes, another place to check out is Panama. There has always been an American presence there because of the canal, they use the dollar as their currency, health care is excellent and affordable, and you can visit cities, mountains, beaches or rain forests.

Plus, Panama offers an incentive program to lure American retirees. If you are 62 or older (I believe this was the age) and have a minimal income from certain sources such as annuities, pensions, social security, etc. you qualify and pay no property tax for 20 year and get 50% off virtually everything from health care to entertainment to travel. If you share our dream of a tropical retirement I highly suggest a visit.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
205 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Couldn't help but stop back in and say HI!

Good Point with Cabo... as the advisory seems to only be relevant to the folks who drive from Cali to Cabo. Otherwise, here is the note about Cabo itself from the US govt:

Baja California Sur: Cabo San Lucas is a major city/travel destination in the Southern portion of Baja California Sur: No advisory is in effect.

We vacationed in Cabo a few years ago and loved it although the rough beach seas and our condo's failed A/C(which needed a repairman to be flown in from Guadalajara) made the stay less than incredible. And, prices once there for food and drink were not Mexican cheap... at all.

Still, got to fish and caught a huge Striped Marlin among other catch and releases and so it was definately a vacation to be remembered.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,480 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Couldn't help but stop back in and say HI!

Nice to see you govtdog! We also visit other places but make sure to get back to Isla too. Maybe you can squeeze in a quick trip seeing as how you're a lot closer from Houston :)

Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Couldn't help but stop back in and say HI!

I believe Cabo is very safe. I haven't heard anything to the contrary. This is the first time I've heard "drug cartels" and "Isla Mujures" together. Where are you getting this from, govtdog?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
205 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Couldn't help but stop back in and say HI!

Heard about reports of folks who had their buses/vans stopped and robbed during the trip from Cancun airport to the ferry to IM and Cozumel. Reports said the thugs actually followed the travelers to their van and then were organized to call ahead to the robbers with the van and occupant descriptions.

I realize the problem may be NOT on IM, but, in getting to there for some.

Wouldn't stop me though.... as it is still in my opinion the best and safest place to vacation in Mexico!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,480 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Couldn't help but stop back in and say HI!

Wow, I haven't heard that at all. Where and when did you hear that?

Dallas
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
1,690 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Couldn't help but stop back in and say HI!

govtdog, where did you read that? I read about the bus of cruise passengers in Puerto Vallarta that got stopped recently, but haven't heard of any that were leaving the Cancun area.

Get answers to your questions about Isla Mujeres