We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I asked this question last year & now gotta ask again:

TX
Level Contributor
5,735 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
I asked this question last year & now gotta ask again:

Has the roving drum group been on Isla lately? I posted last year, hoping that there would be such a band on the island and was told that from time to time, there is - but we never did see them during our stay last July. I had just started taking djembe lessons at the time and was eager to get to hear other drummers while there. Well, I've been at the lessons for about a year now and if I do say so myself, I think I've gotten fairly adept - and of course am even MORE eager to see the group when we're there in June. So ... has anyone seen them strolling down Hidalgo (or elsewhere) lately?

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I asked this question last year & now gotta ask again:

We were there for quite a long stay in Feb/March....we saw no drummers, fire dancers or any other roving street entertainment (except the mariachis) for that matter. It was rather strange really. I heard the fire dancers were prohibited, that was fine, the smell was nauseating night after night. (I understand they were preforming at Lolo's dinners)

Canada
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I asked this question last year & now gotta ask again:

3 times on isla this year and neither have I seen drummers.

TX
Level Contributor
5,735 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I asked this question last year & now gotta ask again:

Well, darn. Maybe Ben-jammin' will let me play around on the congas in his band then. ;-)

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
385 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I asked this question last year & now gotta ask again:

I'm fairly positive the drummers were there in November/December. A friend who hates the noise paid them not to perform.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
385 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I asked this question last year & now gotta ask again:

Forgot to add, I don't see as many street entertainers on Hidalgo in June. I assume it's because business is too slow.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I asked this question last year & now gotta ask again:

Cocofrio: that's funny....

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,257 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I asked this question last year & now gotta ask again:

I was there in early December and at on Hidalgo often but did not see them once.

TX
Level Contributor
5,735 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I asked this question last year & now gotta ask again:

Gee whiz - paying performers NOT to do their thing? Oh well - to each their own. I'm a bit disappointed that the group hasn't been around. Thanks for the update!

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,295 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I asked this question last year & now gotta ask again:

That's too bad about the drummers...they were really good.

Hopefully Domingos culturales/Cultural Sundays still happen.

Edited: 04 May 2012, 21:22
10. Re: I asked this question last year & now gotta ask again:

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 20:12
Get answers to your questions about Isla Mujeres