We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avalon Reef Deal

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
375 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Avalon Reef Deal

From the 'fine print,' mentioning kitchenette and private balcony, it implies it's for a villa...

groupon.com/deals/…

Canada
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avalon Reef Deal

Interesting.... I stayed in a tower room with no breakfast for $90 a night in January so this seems like a good deal.

What surprises me is that it says complimentary wifi, as the Avalon usually charges $15USD a day for wifi. Did they finally change that ridiculous policy???? I hope so for them. So silly to be charging so much for wifi these days, there's no excuse.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,217 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avalon Reef Deal

We're already hooked on the new show, Hotel Impossible. On Monday night's episode the host was explaining to some Miami hotel owners that nowadays free wifi is expected, so he told them to stop charging for it. I agree--you will probably see fewer and fewer hotels charging for wifi.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
303 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avalon Reef Deal

and just my 2 cents here - when we stayed at the Avalon at the end of February, we found ourselves going elsewhere to eat and drink just for the free wifi. If The Avalon included wifi, we would have spent way more than $15 there on lunches and/or drinks alone.

In my opinion, if you don't want people to hang around your establishment, make it even more uninviting and watch all the neighboring bars and restaurants get your business with their free wifi.

Just makes no sense

Canada
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avalon Reef Deal

The exact same thing for us Kat58. We liked the Avalon, its setting, its little beach but found ourselves going away for every meal because of the lack of wifi.

ct
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avalon Reef Deal

As of last week, wifi wasn't free. I asked about using the computer in the lobby and they said there was a fee to do that too.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
429 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avalon Reef Deal

the fine print also says.... "Resort fee not included: covers Internet" what does that mean??? maybe cover charge for the "complimentary" wifi?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Avalon Reef Deal

You might want to email the hotel directly about the kitchenette. I had booked Avalon for a trip in June and ended up switching to PA because of this very reason. We sometimes take leftovers from different meals so we can have the "midnight snacks"..

After reading some reviews I got the impression they don't even have a fridge in the studios. I never confirmed with hotel because other factors swayed us to change..(location, familiarity, AI option, beach etc..) If this doesn't matter to you then this seems to be a really good deal.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avalon Reef Deal

Nope WiFi still isn't free, I just called and asked. That's just crazy that they charge for it. I did wind up grabbing this deal and it's definitely for the Studio/Villa rooms which do include a mini fridge and a microwave.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,865 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avalon Reef Deal

If I read it correctly that's a 100 dollars for two with breakfast in the villa rooms. Pretty sweet deal even without the free wifi. But yes, they could throw that in considering that most places do.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Avalon Reef Deal

Where are you seeing $100?? Or were you saying $100/night??