We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the usual hourly wage in Mexico?

Canada
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
What is the usual hourly wage in Mexico?

Last time we went to the Yucatan, we hired a local woman to help with our baby for a few days. She never gave us a price and insisted we came up with one. I'm pretty sure we were way up there by her insistence to come back .....

I've looked on the web for the answer to this question but no luck.... What is a typical hourly salary for a Mexican worker? I've read that some people work for no wages, tips only (like grocery baggers) but couldn't find any indication of the average wage.

We are going back to IM in a week, this time with 3 kids under 5 (call us 'loco'!) and would like to hire some help again. I read on the forum that Tiffany from Barlito's may have some contacts. We are curious in the meantime to have some insight on what would be a fair wage to give these ladies.

If you have any others or stories to share about babysitting, please do!

ct
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: What is the usual hourly wage in Mexico?

That's what I'd like to know too! For us, I am not set on having help, but if I could pay someone a salary that would not hurt our vacation budget and would help someone else out financially too, I'd consider it!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: What is the usual hourly wage in Mexico?

As MD said, hopefully when Tiffany sees this, she'll respond with what is a fair wage for babysitting. Or you can just email her and ask and then let us know so we have it for future reference :)

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: What is the usual hourly wage in Mexico?

Mexican daily wages are typically low. They range from $50 pesos (dishwashers) to $200 pesos (cooks). Some servers & bartenders make only tips. In most foreign owned businesses, the tips are spilt up among the entire staff & the owners take none.

For babysitters, it ranges from $28 pesos an hour to $100 pesos for a full day (& they may cook & clean too). We pay our babysitter a weekly salary & then per hour if she goes over her hours. We have been told she is the best paid babysitter on the Island & we could get alot more (cleaning/cooking) for less. She takes wonderful care of our children & we love her so it is well worth it. She however doesn't speak any English. Our children are fluent in Spanish so they translate dr me. Our babysitter does have a cell phone but we provide the minutes & give her a weekly amount for taxis/snacks/etc.

My friends who babysit for our friends & family when they visit all speak English. They are from the US, Canada & Israel. They all have local cell phones, speak some Spanish (two speak incredible Spanish) & are in their 30's. They charge $110 pesos per hour for up to two kids ($8.86 in USD). plus taxi reimbursements. ($25 pesos more per hour per kid.) I am sure you can find locals that will charge even less for babysitting or being a mother's helper on the beach. You can always ask the conceirge at your accommodations or your property manager. Or contact the La Gloria English School (these kids may speak a little English). They may know some highschool age kids interested & depending when you come to visit they may have school breaks so they can accompany you to the beach on weekdays not just weekends. Feel free to email me at barlito@live.com if you have more concerns or questions.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: What is the usual hourly wage in Mexico?

Thank you so much for that very informative answer.

London
1 post
Save Reply
25. Re: What is the usual hourly wage in Mexico?

There are two parallel economies in Mexico, the rising middle-class economy where people work in banks and other commercial enterprises, own cars, have bank accounts and credit cards, and pay income tax, and then there is the traditional cash economy where people provide services such as child care, cleaning, or run small tiendas, for example, and generally don't pay tax. The two groups have very different average incomes. In the first $12,000 USD per year might be a typical salary, in the second it would be very much less, so there really isn't a meaningful average for the country.

In Merida people working as house cleaners for the expat community will typically be paid $200 pesos to clean a house, work that might take 3-4 hours. The cleaners here that I've seen work hard for their money and deserve every peso. If you found someone you like and trust then I don't think you were paying too much over the odds.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,854 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: What is the usual hourly wage in Mexico?

Here is you anwser:

Mexico's minimum wage commission set the increase for 2012 at 4.2% for all three of the country's geographic zones, slightly above the rate of inflation expected for this year and next. This is slightly higher than the 2011 minimum wage with an increase of 4.1%. This is higher than the expected rate of inflation in which the bank of Mexico projects it to be between 3-4%.

The increase brings the minimum wage in Mexico to 62.33 pesos ($4.60) a day for zone A, which includes Mexico City. The minimum wage is slightly lower in other geographic zones.

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
27. Re: What is the usual hourly wage in Mexico?

I kinda get what you're saying. But on the other hand, my nanny here (Canada) has saved me more work and effort and pain then had I not had her. I would gladly pay her $90,000 / year (about 4 times as much) as she really has been a life saver and got me through some times not possible without her. My business could easily afford it and it would still be worth it! Don't go cheap! But honestly I think if I actually paid my nanny $90,000 / year it would make a lot of people upset.

Currently we pay her the exact minimum wage required by law... reading your posts I am starting to feel bad. I don't actually know ANYONE who pays more... dilemma

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
364 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: What is the usual hourly wage in Mexico?

Just my opinion of course. My daughter who is 21, while going to college, Nanny's for several families here in the states for $10 an hour. Personally, and this is my opinion only, I would pay someone in Mexico the same as I would here in the states. Please, now I only briefly read all the posts, I didn't read every single one, so I'm just saying in my own opinion of course, I would pay the same to a respectable sitter in Mexico, as I would pay a babysitter here in the US.

Edited: 25 May 2013, 08:05
ft worth
Level Contributor
977 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: What is the usual hourly wage in Mexico?

I completely agree with you sallylu.. This is a year old thread that just got brought up again.. but as I was reading the posts, I was thinking the same thing.

york pa
Level Contributor
615 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: What is the usual hourly wage in Mexico?

Bikini gal you pay your nanny minimum wage? Then you should expect minimum service