We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heather-Daffodils

Council Bluffs, Iowa
Level Contributor
366 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Heather-Daffodils

I know you are serious. I have a few starting to grace us with their presence too. Got home Sat night about 10pm. Will get my report done this weekend, hopefully!!!! On our ferry trip back to mainland on Sat the water was sooooo rough! The front end of that ferry was pointing at the sky and the water was soaking us all on the upper level. I have never had that wild a ferry trip. It was an adventure to say the least. And now a norte with high winds on the island. I have lots of pics but not real sure how to upload them, it's been awhile.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
239 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Heather-Daffodils

Hola Heather, as a pork professional, I would recommend rubbing it the night before and wrapping it tightly in foil. That will help the paste penetrate the meat. Minutes before you put it in your smoker, inject it with the juice to help it cook from the inside out. If you choose to inject it, again, do it right before you put it in or the citrus will cook it inside.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
239 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Heather-Daffodils

Heather, you can use the juice of blood oranges instead of the citrus mixture.

Council Bluffs, Iowa
Level Contributor
366 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Heather-Daffodils

MMMM, getting really hungry reading this Heather. I can almost smell. Cant wait for the pics.

Plattsmouth...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Heather-Daffodils

C'mon over the river Bestgrammy!

DMartin, no sour oranges, I will have to improvise.

Smokey, I have always been told not to use reactive metals (foil) with citrus marinades? I'm not a pork professional though. We usually just marinate the night before in a gallon zip lock bag and poke holes in the fat side of the pork. It always turns out delicious but I have never made cochinita pibil before so I'm not sure how the marinade will taste. My fingers are crossed :) otherwise we may just be eating beans and rice!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
239 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Heather-Daffodils

You're right about the citrus and foil! I am modifying the standard method by creating a rub with the achiote,cumin,cinnamon,etc instead of making the marinade. Stud with garlic, rub, then wrap with foil and let rest overnight. Next day inject it with the blood orange juice mixed with the traditional marinade spices(see above) minutes before smoking. That way the flavor penetrates much deeper into the meat than the marinade does and promotes cooking from the inside out. The rub will make a nice bark (crust) that you can chop or pull along with the meat and it will add yet another layer of flavor. I let mine go with a full 10-12 hour smoke.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
239 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Heather-Daffodils

One last step, when you remove it from the smoker wrap tightly in heavy duty foil then let it rest on a sheet pan (they will find a way to leak juice) for 90 minutes. This is the key to pulling pork! But before you pull it remove the chine bone which should come out easily if it's cooked to the right temp. I never really start using the thermometer until I see the bone sticking out. The final, final step is to recover the dripping and add to the meat. We call that the liquid gold around here.

Edited: 08 March 2012, 10:32
Plattsmouth...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Heather-Daffodils

Bestgrammy, the cochinita pibil is marinating and the pickled onions are cooling in the fridge, beans are soaking! Trip report installment 2 is on the way, I'm assuming? In lieu of doing my taxes, I'm going to spend the weekend looking at your photos. Take that Uncle Sam!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,174 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Heather-Daffodils

"Trip report installment 2 is on the way, I'm assuming?"

Ooh, nicely done, Heather ;)

Plattsmouth...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Heather-Daffodils

Thanks TNY. I'm quite famous for my subtlety :)

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,174 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Heather-Daffodils

So I'm dying to know; how was the cochinita, Heather? :)