We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

short review w/ photos

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
short review w/ photos

Warning: Viewing these photos may cause you to:

• From time to time would uncontrollably say “Oooohhh” or “Aaaahhh” or “Darn it, let me book this trip already!!” (This was my experience when I saw some of the pictures posted at this forum prior to booking our trip on May 6 – 10 of 2011)

• Pawn your Rolex watch and catch the earliest flight to CUN then swim over to Isla! (Don’t forget your sunscreen and get the highest number you can find. Hubby and I found out the hard way! OUCH!!)

• Hand in your resignation then sign-up for early retirement! (Hubby and I are seriously contemplating)

• *drool* (I still am…)

• Have an anxiety attack! (You’re next trip to Isla can’t get here soon enough)

https:/…

https:/…

Now here’s my short review:

My hubby and I took a short trip to Isla in May 2011. After going through a brutal winter in Chicago, we were ready for some fun in the sun the good old fashioned way…layout, eat, drink, sleep (repeat as many times as needed...lol). It must have been fate as I could not explain how I landed on this forum. It didn’t take long for me to decide that Isla is the place. Once we got on the ferry to Isla, we knew right away that there was something different about this trip; there was a sense of calm and uniqueness. Not to take away anything from Playa del Carmen and Cabo which we’ve been to and also enjoyed, but Isla takes the cake! Isla quickly became our favorite relaxation destination. We love the vibe of Isla; the people, the food, the sight, the smell (especially of fresh fried fish while walking along restaurants on Medina Ave) and did I mention, the BEACH?...OH YES!

We were pleased with our stay at Privilege. The hotel offered a clean room, super comfy bed and a beautiful view of the beach and the pool area. Breakfast dictates the day for us, and so it was enjoyed every day at Privilege. We did not opt for the all-inclusive because there were too many restaurants just a few steps away from the hotel. We crossed the street to Jax several times to shoot pool and to watch our beloved Bulls take on “some” team (sorry I forgot what team it was they devoured). Bally Hoo ranked as our fave eating spot on Isla. It defined the true meaning of Isla living; eating above water, watching the fishermen sail in and gazing at the sun as it touches the horizon.

We rented a golf cart for a day to explore the island. The viewing area at Garaffon Park was breathtaking! Perhaps on our next visit, we will consider an all-inclusive all-day pass experience to this park. We stopped at the Floating Island and had a privilege to meet Richie aka Rico Suave (that’s how he introduced himself to us), the genius behind the creation. Not to be missed, Punta Sur…spectacular! Equally fascinating as Playa Norte but of opposite personality…the water was rough. We stopped at Villa la Bella for “The World’s Best Pina Colada”! It was freshly made, thick and topped with coconut shavings (writing this review makes me wanna pawn my Timex!). Ashley kindly gave us a tour of the property and allowed me to take as much photos as I want. My fave room was the Palapa Room, the bed was hoisted from the ceiling. Last stop was finally at Soggy Peso to partake at the Sunday BBQ party. I’m going to take some heat for saying this but…Soggy Peso was my least favorite experience on Isla. Not to say it was bad, it didn’t quite click to me but am still glad we got to see it.

The funniest and most memorable thing that happened to us (or to my hubby) was on the second day of our vacay, many of the male vendors and locals started calling my hubby “Pacquiao” (Filipino Boxer). I guess my hubby somewhat resembles Pacquiao. While walking down Hidalgo, we’d often hear someone yell, “Pacquiao, come in my store...buy something!”….OMG, hilarious!! Being a fan of Pacquiao, my hubby loved every minute of it! :)

Overall, this vacation was an Ace! There were some snags along the way but we didn’t allow any of that to ruin a good thing.

Lastly, I would like to thank all the posters and contributors of this forum. You guys are a huge factor to the success of our vacation. Now if y’all excuse me as I plan my next trip…….

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,776 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: short review w/ photos

Wow, beautiful pictures! If you’re not a professional photographer, you should be :)

I wish I had a Rolex to sell because you’re right, I’d do it in a heartbeat. Looks like you hit all the great spots and didn’t miss a thing. Love the pictures of Villa la Bella and all the yummy food and drinks. And you even got to meet Richie of the floating island. How cool is that?

Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us. I'm so glad you had a great time and are already planning your next trip! I’m going to add this to our Trip Reports Top Question so if you move the photos please let me know.

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
664 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: short review w/ photos

Loved your pictures and your review - I just have to ask - what kind of camera do you have? LOVE the crispness of your photos. I just got a new camera and if the photos are 1/2 as nice as yours I will be happy - bought the Canon SX40

saskatoon
Level Contributor
113 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: short review w/ photos

really great pics,you got some poster quality shots, thanks for sharing.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,121 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: short review w/ photos

Great pics--thatnks for making us hungry! My wife really appreciated the door shots--she likes to take those on Isla as well.

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: short review w/ photos

Your pics are beautiful. I will agree with you on the Soggy Peso. The atmosphere does nothing for me, but I sure do like that combo plate on Sunday. Wish they had take out!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
124 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: short review w/ photos

Thanks for sharing these incredible photos!

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
423 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: short review w/ photos

Stunning photos!! thanks for the rundown...

Question...What is it about Soggy Peso that is "off".... heard this from quite a few people.. Haven't been there but I don't think we'll be stopping...:)

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: short review w/ photos

Great pics. You took great photos of all the stuff I wished I had taken pics of. Most of my pics are blurry and useless.

If you don't mind, I lifted one of your pics to show the Punta Sur sculpture garden. I'm an urban planner and I always mention the Isla garden when talking about options for underused parcels and rehabbing "blighted" areas. Of course, Isla is not in need of rehabilitation but Punta Sur is an excellent example of what a little art can do to improve a place. Unfortunately, I can never find a good pic when I am trying to prove my point.

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: short review w/ photos

Soggy Peso can have a pretty rowdy crowd. There is a sign that says "men, no shirt, no service. Women, no shirt, free drinks". Needless to say there are usually free drinks being handed out. Now I am not a prude, but that is just not appetizing, at least to me. The last time I was there, the bar was full as well as the tables outside. I had to sit at one of the high tables inside and people kept being knocked into it. Just isn't for me, but I do love the food. I have only been there on Sun. I don't know what it is like other days.

Council Bluffs, Iowa
Level Contributor
366 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: short review w/ photos

Agree, excellent pictures! I like the format of your report too, wonderful job. You two make an adorable couple, by the way.

Get answers to your questions about Isla Mujeres