We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Isla

Tillsonburg...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Safety in Isla

In light of all the media hype with warnings on travel to Mexico--how safe is Isla Mujeres?

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,869 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Isla

Very safe. It's far removed from areas where problems are occurring and you have nothing to worry about. About the worst you can expect is to have your bag lifted if you leave it in your golf cart unattended.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,225 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Isla

First of all, the media hype is just that--hype. The violence you read and hear about is taking place mostly along the border with the US, several hundred miles away. The people who have written off Mexico because of violence are either not paying attention or lack basic reading skills.

Isla Mujeres is a very safe little island where you will feel very comfortable. Naturally, you should be careful with things like valuables anyplace in the world, but in general I feel safer on Isla than I do here in Chicago.

Plattsmouth...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Isla

I feel totallly safe walking around here by myself and there is a woman staying at our hotel alone and she feels totally safe.

Dallas
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in Isla

Agree with the others. I even feel fine with my beautiful 18 year old daughter walking around by herself (at least during the daytime hours). Her biggest threat is vendors flirting with her.

I have several female friends that travel to Isla several times a year alone and feel very safe and comfortable.

TX
Level Contributor
5,720 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in Isla

The media coverage of Mexico is little more than blanket statements at best, and downright irresponsible journalism at worst. Isla is a very safe place to vacation.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,225 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in Isla

Baja, I put as much of the blame on lazy news consumers. Can't tell you how many times somebody has shown me an article as "proof" that Mexico is dangerous, only to have me point out to them that the article specifies exactly where the violence is occurring. And perhaps part of it is lack of geographical knowledge--many people don't realize how far the Yucatan is from the areas of concern.

When this subject is raised, I also feel compelled to point out that the drug violence is occurring along our border because that's where the largest market is for illegal drugs: the USA. So many people point their fingers southward without acknowledging that many of the problems in Mexico start right here.

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety in Isla

it is safe, of course one should use the same precautions they would use anywhere but Isla Mujeres is far removed from the violence hyped by the media.

TX
Level Contributor
5,720 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety in Isla

That's true, D. What is astounding to me is when people choose to remain willfully ignorant. I know several people who, when told that we vacation in Mexico, act as though we've just said we're actively engaged with the cartels or something. No amount of explanation and reassurance sways their ill-formed opinions. I just don't GET that.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,869 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety in Isla

Ok, I don’t want to get into the whole drug wars discussion but the violence is also occurring elsewhere, not only in the forever cited “border areas.” In fact, violence in the border areas is lessening. Veracruz if nowhere near the border and neither is Acapulco, Guadalajara, etc. Also, most people don’t realize that a huge market for illegal drugs exists right there in Mexico, so it’s not only the border towns and the US consumer who are responsible. It’s easy to get the data on drug use in Mexico and how it has surged in recent years (such as, over 27 tons of cocaine being used annually). To dismiss the violence affecting so many people as merely “media hype” is, IMO, just as wrong.

Given that, no, thankfully the violence has not reached Isla and the Yucatan is for the most part very safe.

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety in Isla

Isla has a huge Navy Base with Navy, Federal & local policia. Our crime is really petty crimes of opportunity as mentioned above...leaving a bag in a golf cart, a camera on the table, your beach bag with your laptop unattended, kids joy riding in your golf cart, etc. With that being said, we live in a different world todaym then we did 40 years ago. I still take the same precautions at home that I do on vacation...lock my doors, put valuables in a safe, don't take strangers home, don't accept drinks from stangers, don't flash money, etc.

I have never not felt safe on Isla. If I did, I wouldn't be living here with my children & my husband.

Edited: 29 January 2012, 03:44