We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Day 3 and 4

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
283 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Day 3 and 4

Trip Report Day 3 and 4

Just a heads up to anyone coming over to Isla Mujeres, the prices have definitely risen on the food, I will try to give you as accurate a price for what we ate as possible, not sure you can get by on a $100 a day for food and booze, I think if your careful you can.

Woke up early and decided to try breakfast at Cazuela M&J. Short walk from Ixchel, we were the first ones in and the service and menu were great, my wife had the all encompassing breakfast which was coffee, juice, toast, eggs anyway you wanted, potatoes with cheese and a great fruit plate, I had a baked egg dish with beans, tomatoes, onions and salsa and tortillas. Both dishes very good and the atmosphere was truly Mexican and nice. Total cost was about $18 with tip.

We were on the beach by 9 am and again a great day weather wise, had pina coladas at chici’s down the beach and later snacks at Comonos at Ixchel. So far the guacamole at Ixchel is the best we found and the chips are fresh baked and reasonable. By the way most places on the island will have a two for one special BUT you have to ask for it, if you don’t they will charge you the higher price, like everything in the world bargain for the best price, they actually expect it. Stayed on the beach till 3 pm and couldn’t stand the sun anymore, quick nap and then dinner.

We decided to shop a bit even though we don’t need anything but when you go with a woman it’s a given that you will buy something, she found a couple very nice dresses in a shop and the sales girl said the profits go to a charity in Cancun which my wife found very favorable (she is so gullible) Anyway we are early in our trip and decided to wait a bit, afterall our suitcase was already over it’s weight limit.

We had dinner at Olivia’s and it was great to excellent. Great atmosphere, very intimate with nice lighting and landscaping, the dinner was very good, my wife had a special which was chicken cooked with vegetables in sauce inside phylo pastry and I had the Mousaka, both great dishes and reasonable. Total cost with drinks was $32.00 first decent price I have found on Isla for quality food and service.

Shopped a little more and then went to the condo to sit on the balcony and listen to the waves. That’s it for day 3.

Day 4

Woke to a sunny morning and walked over to Alexia Y Giovanny for breakfast. Very good and the price was right, about $9.00 for the both of us. My wife had banana pancakes and I had the Machacha with eggs. Seems overly warm this morning and plan on spending it on the beach.

Around noon we could hear thunder rolling in and decided to pack it in and head for lunch. Went over to Bally Hoo and sat down and watched Cancun get lit up with lighting, Isla only got a couple drops of rain. My wife ordered shrimp tacos and I had the fish (grouper) tacos, both were excellent and they provided three different sauces to try, a mild, a hot and a tamarind which is a sweet sauce, I tried all three and they were great, when they say hot over here they really mean it !! Total bill with four beers included was about $18.00 I liked the casual atmosphere right on the water and watching the fishing boats come and go, I’d give it a 5 star for lunch.

About 5 pm Isla got hit with a thunderstorm that dropped the temperature at least 15 degrees, lasted about an hour and cleared out the beaches and pools. Later that evening it was very nice with a clear sky and good walking weather. We ended up having dinner at French Bistro based on some recommendations. We have mixed reviews, my wife had the chicken cordon bleu and she loved it, I had the fish in garlic sauce and thought it was only ok, the portion was small, the vegetables cold and the service inattentive, on the plus side the Margaritas were very strong and the price very good. Four drinks between us and our entrees were only $25.00. We are on vacation and I want to have good food instead of just cheap food. Anyway I would give it 3 stars just based on my wife’s recommendation, otherwise a 2 star. We called it an early night and headed back to Ixchel.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,253 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Day 3 and 4

Great trip report,so glad you are keeping us updated! Thanks :)

ct
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Day 3 and 4

Love your reports-especially pricing info. We were able to get our dinners for 2 adults and 2 kids to average $30 per night in Aruba over 2 weeks. Hoping everyone's advice here can make us as successful on Isla!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Day 3 and 4

It's so much more fun reading these reports now that we've been there! When you mention, for example, the fish tacos at Bally-Hoo with the 3 home made salsas--I LOVED the tamarind salsa! And my wife had the chicken-phyllo dough dish at Olivia. Makes me feel like we're there. I'm sure hoping that Sunday morning you head over to the mercado for cochinita pibil!

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
91 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Day 3 and 4

WOW! I can't believe how reasonably priced the food and drinks are there! Have fun!

Virginia
Level Contributor
237 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Day 3 and 4

Just want you to know that your trip report is just about the only thing keeping me going. I have to wait til April 26!!! Will it ever get here...

Please keeping writing, I'm lovin' it.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,587 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Day 3 and 4

Thanks for the great trip reports! :)

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
283 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report Day 3 and 4

Thanks for your kind words and I hope you have as much fun and relaxation as we are.

chattanooga tn
Level Contributor
150 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report Day 3 and 4

GROntario-Viva Cub Libra is one of my favorites, not fancy eat at tables on the street but very good food and excellent 2 for 1 mojitos. Wouldn't choose for last night as I always want somewhere very special like Olivias that night.

9. Re: Trip Report Day 3 and 4

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 10:47