We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sad incident at Contoy

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
574 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Sad incident at Contoy

I'm sorry to report that a tourist drown today at Contoy. I was there with Captain Tony; the man who died was with a different Isla Mujeres outfit (they have a lime green boat, but I don't know the name). We believe the man likely had a heart attack, but as of right now, I don't think anyone really knows. He was aparently snorkeling alone. His wife became concerned when he didn't return from the water, but it was likely presumed for at least a while that he'd probably gone off to the restrooms or something. I understand from other members of their group that the couple was French Canadian, but don't know the hometown or age of the man who died. He was reportedly an adequate swimmer. Those familar with the snorkeling area at Contoy know that it's shallow, calm, and about the "safest" snorkeling area you'd find anywhere. People in both groups were permitted to use their own discretion in deciding whether or not to wear a life vest, but in light of what happened today, I would expect that will change.

It was a relatively quiet day, but I don't really have any basis for comparison. Captain Tony had about a dozen people (in two boats), and the other operator had maybe the same. There were no groups there from Cancun today. The water (at least at Contoy itself) was clear and placid. there's no undertow, and there's nothing that seems at all dangerous about the snorkel site (a great deal of it is less than six feet deep). The only explanation that makes sense to anyone is that the man had a heart attack or something like it. It goes without saying that everyone there was saddened and somewhat shaken by the sad incident. It was not, in my opinion, due to anyone's negligence. While it's uncertain that a swimming companion would have been able to prevent the death, we'll never know. Though I never met or knew the man who died today, I 'm trying to take some comfort in my belief he died doing something that brought him great pleasure in a place of extraordinary beauty. And though I do not know her personally, my thoughts and prayers are with his wife tonight.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,167 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sad incident at Contoy

People will do what they will. I always suggest that people use flotation assistance. A leg cramp, fatigue or another factor may cause you to drown when using a flotation device may save you. It may not be manly, but I prefer to be alive.

everett wa
Level Contributor
803 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sad incident at Contoy

Very sad...Thank you for posting this..

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,118 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sad incident at Contoy

It is very tragic but ITA with Co_Pilot. I always recommend that people wear vests and not snorkel alone. By no means am I blaming the victim, but I don't think that taking precautions is a bad thing.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sad incident at Contoy

Our thoughts and prayers with this man's family and friends, very sad.

Arctic Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sad incident at Contoy

I also agree with co pilot .tragic event ..safe travels jimmy

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,167 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sad incident at Contoy

It has been many years since I did rescue swimming as a Boy Scout, but attempting to save a drowning person could result in two drownings. While I agree that snorkeling with another has some safety benefits, it also carries risks that may be reduced/eliminated IF both are using flotation devices.

I can't comment on "what ifs" of this sad event....just making suggestions.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sad incident at Contoy

"but attempting to save a drowning person could result in two drownings."

this happened to two of my teenage daughter's friends two years ago...tragic ;(

Unless you know what you're doing, you can easily be pulled under with the panicking victim.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
49 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sad incident at Contoy

Very sad news. Prayers for the family.

Texas
Level Contributor
351 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sad incident at Contoy

Sorry to hear this Bill...sad.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
188 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sad incident at Contoy

I'm sorry Bill. Thanks for letting us know.My thoughts go out to both captains, and to the victim's family.