We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

w i n e . . .

Michigan
Level Contributor
245 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
w i n e . . .

several years ago, when we last visited Isla ; vino was very difficult to stomach. The supermarket in Centro had only a couple of lesser-Chileans, restaurants had a poor offering and those that did offer wine, over priced like crazy.

What's the status of bottles available in 2010 ?

Fave bottle-shops ?

Best wine available at restaurants ?

What about the bars ? Sergio's, Buho's . . .

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: w i n e . . .

My husband and I are wine drinkers and are generally happy with the wine in the restaurants. Occasionally you'll have problem with a red ordered by the glass because it may have just "sat" there for a long time and has gone off. White is refrigerated so that's not an issue.

Restaurants with good wine: Frech Bistro, Olivia's, Rolandi's (in town), Villa Rolandi, Argentinian, and Bamboo. We usually order by the glass which is around 5 dollars. Bottles range from inexpensive to expensive imported. We love wine but are not "experts" so prices will depend on how into wine you are and your standards. Ours are mid-level, lol.

Never ordered any during the day at the beach bars so I don't know.

People recommend Covi and the Navy store for buying wine. We just order in restaurants.

ETA: Mogagua also had good wine by the glass and is a nice place to hang out with one and people watch.

Edited: 11 February 2010, 17:06
Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: w i n e . . .

Echoing what traveler said, we find the wine selection very tolerable. I do agree though, in the past the wine selection was dismal, it has definitely improved in the last several years :)!

Ontario
Level Contributor
348 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: w i n e . . .

At dinner, we found that a bottle of wine was far more expensive at Rolandi's than at Angelo's grill. We found that house wines were half decent at most places, compared to most Mexican places we have been to maybe 5 years ago.

New England
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: w i n e . . .

I REALLY know my wine and sell it for a living. I usually avoid it in the Caribbean, but have to say Isla has better options than most places. I usually opt for beer and cocktails, as I prefer to leave my work at home. I only had one glass of wine on Isla this year and that was a Chilean wine at an Argentinian restaurant on Hidalgo. It was a Chilean Cabernet they highly recommended. I did NOT order a second glass! While exploring Isla, I did notice what looked like a decent looking, well staffed wine shop on one of the streets running perpendicular to Hidalgo, between Hidalgo and Guerrrero. Perhaps one of the local experts can identify exactly where it is and tell you more.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: w i n e . . .

I believe that's the Covi store. Argentinian had good white. Never tried their red but I guess you weren't impressed, lol. Rolandi's and the French Bistro had decent reds, according to my husband. As did Olivia's, I think with reds you might be better off with a bottle than by the glass as people tend not to order it as often so the opened bottle just sits around getting old.

Edited: 11 February 2010, 20:32
Michigan
Level Contributor
245 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: w i n e . . .

Duncan, I'm in the wine business too. Mrs Natural is the one who NEEDS her vino on vacation. Glad to hear the the selection has improved on Isla - thanks all for your recco's

Edited: 11 February 2010, 21:19
Hartford...
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: w i n e . . .

We were on Isla last month and a number of people in our group like red wine..the new grocery store had a fair selection as did the mini super across from Mango but we found that the wine was very expensive ..a 750 ml bottle of Little Penguin Shiraz..7.99 in Ct ..was 240 pesos clost to 20 dollars ..it is available but at a higher price.We brought a couple of bottles with us..

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Pittsburgh, Cancun
Level Contributor
5,359 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: w i n e . . .

All inclusive Isla Mujeres Palace (www.palaceresorts.com) has unlimited wine by the bottle. We enjoy it very much:

TOP SHELF WINES & BEVERAGES

Unlimited wine by the bottle from Spaniards, Argentinean, Californian, French, Italian, Chilean and Mexican wineries.

9. Re: w i n e . . .

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2010, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Isla Mujeres