We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helllllp!! No lobster tacos at skulls landing :'(

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
101 posts
55 reviews
49 helpful votes
Helllllp!! No lobster tacos at skulls landing :'(
Save

I waited all wk for tuesday so I could come here for the delicious lobster tacos on tacos Tuesday. I get here and they have no lobster tacos today 😭. No lobster at all.

Where should I go?? Where the 2nd best spot for lobster tacos on the island? Please help! I'm so bummed. Been looking fwd to these tacos all wk. Last time we had them here, we all agreed it was the best meal we had the entire trip! I see they have tacos next door at soggy pesos, but I think it's just fish and shrimp.

Also.. 2people have told us now that Madera is closed, and my mom really wanted a burger there. Anyone know if this is true? Please respond asap,as I'm sitting here at skulls landing drinking cervasas and tequila shots til we figure it out 😂

20 replies to this topic
Cancun, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,032 posts
10 reviews
21 helpful votes
1. Re: Helllllp!! No lobster tacos at skulls landing :'(
Save

Well, it's not lobster season so finding a place with fresh (as opposed to frozen) may not be easy.

I feel your pain. Skull's Landing is the best place in my opinion and we were hoping to have some later this week.

Lots of people love the Soggy Pesos lobster tacos. I'm not one of them. They're deep fried and to me that ruins them.

Since it's not lobster season I personally would skip the lobster tacos. Plenty of places will tell you it fresh lobster when in fact it's frozen or not even lobster. It may be langostinos and I'm not willing to pay lobster prices for a lobster substitute .

My boyfriend simply loves the fish tacos at Skull's Landings. Fresh and not deep fried. I'd suggest that. But really all their food is excellent. We've never had a bad meal there.

As for Madera, it typically closes for a couple weeks in September but it's a little early for that unless they moved up their vacation dates.

I've heard that Isla Burgers makes a great burger as well. We love Madera but are going to give Isla Burgers a try this time.

Hope this helps!! Tell Julio "hola"!!!!

Cancun, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,032 posts
10 reviews
21 helpful votes
2. Re: Helllllp!! No lobster tacos at skulls landing :'(
Save

I just checked with Madera Food and Art.

They're open today.

Will be closing September 9-14 for vacation.

Sykesville, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
16 reviews
4 helpful votes
3. Re: Helllllp!! No lobster tacos at skulls landing :'(
Save

Madera is normally closed on Sunday and Monday each week, that is probably why somebody thought they were closed.

Level Contributor
55 posts
4. Re: Helllllp!! No lobster tacos at skulls landing :'(
Save

Skull's landing has excellent lobster tacos. Really, really, good.

Joan, I'm pretty sure lobster season opened on July 1. I know we've had this discussion previously but everything I'm reading shows that it's closed March 1 until July 1. For example.... http://www.cozumel4you.com/cozumel-nature/cozumel-lobster-season-6/ says that

"Quintana Roo’s lobster season runs from July until the end of February."

Edited: 25 August 2021, 02:05
Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
101 posts
55 reviews
49 helpful votes
5. Re: Helllllp!! No lobster tacos at skulls landing :'(
Save

Thanks so much, joan!!! And everyone!! We decided to stay here at skulls landing and order the fish tacos and shrimp ceviche. Both excellent!! And thanks for looking up Madera for us. That will be the dinner spot! :)

Skulls landing is probably my favorite food spot on the island. Didntget the lobster tacos this time, but hey, guess it gives us a reason to hurry up and book our next trip! ;)

Illinois
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
93 reviews
93 helpful votes
6. Re: Helllllp!! No lobster tacos at skulls landing :'(
Save

I think madera closes @5

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
9,881 posts
20 reviews
64 helpful votes
7. Re: Helllllp!! No lobster tacos at skulls landing :'(
Save

I was thinking Madera closed at 6 so I looked it up. 5:45. :)

Sykesville, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
16 reviews
4 helpful votes
8. Re: Helllllp!! No lobster tacos at skulls landing :'(
Save

Yes, Madera closes at 5:45 per their sign, but they are usually out of food by 5 or earlier.

I have had two restaurant owners on Isla tell me that the issue with lobster this season is the skyrocketing cost. Our builder said that a group in Cancun is buying up all of the lobster catches that they can, and reselling it to restaurants, hotels and AIs on the mainland at inflated prices, leaving the smaller bars and restaurants with nothing. Not sure if that is accurate or not, but he always seems to know what is going on.

Edited: 25 August 2021, 02:36
Illinois
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
93 reviews
93 helpful votes
9. Re: Helllllp!! No lobster tacos at skulls landing :'(
Save

I guess it’s in my mind to be there before 5

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
191 posts
17 reviews
9 helpful votes
10. Re: Helllllp!! No lobster tacos at skulls landing :'(
Save

Sboom personally I think the burgers at Isla burger are better than Madera. Give em a try I’m thinking you’ll agree!

Reply to: Helllllp!! No lobster tacos at skulls landing :'(
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.