We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Aura Cozumel question

Austin, Texas...
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Secrets Aura Cozumel question

I'm starting to get a little concerned with all of the up and down reviews about Aura. We are booked for August, and spent quite a bit of money to stay here. To the people who have been... why do you think the reviews of Aura are all over the place? If you look at Secrets other properties, the reviews are very consistent, but not Aura. Why do you suppose that is? I know people keep saying to not compare Aura to the other Secrets properties, but if you booked Aura based on your experience at another Secrets resort I don't think that it's out of the question to want to hear comparisons. When you go with certain brands you expect a certain level of quality... We have stayed at some smaller resorts, and some of the mega resort all inclusives in the Caribbean. I'm okay with a smaller resort, and I'm okay with "island time"... As long as the place is long on quality I'm okay with a lack of quantity. As this is a Secrets property there comes a certain level of service / quality expected... Not all Secrets are "mega resorts"... why would their smaller / medium sized resorts have consistent feedback, but not this one? Are these just growing pains, because of the recent take over? These are the questions that I keep coming back to as we wait for our vacation. I'm probably over thinking it, but seeing a slew of not so good reviews doesn't give me warm fuzzy feelings.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
563 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Aura Cozumel question

Jason,

We stayed at Aura April and enjoyed our stay but this was our first stay at a Secrets property. The food and drinks were good but service could be slow at times, that didn't bother us. The thing I like best about Aura was it's close proximity to the southern dive sites. What we disliked the most was not having a bar or lounge area that was air conditioned.

Cheers

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Aura Cozumel question

IMO Cozumel is very different than other places and the Secrets name is NOT going to live up to what others are used to that have stayed at other Secrets properties. That's just the way it is and will be. Some don't mind and some mind ALOT.

Rockport, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets Aura Cozumel question

Just returned from CZM today and met a great couple at the airport who had stayed there and were not very pleased. Didn't go into details but I will ask her to write a quick report!

Aurora, IN
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets Aura Cozumel question

We have reservations for the end of June, just days away. We have stayed at the Aura twice before and found it very much to our liking, BUT I am getting concerned over the posts that have been written lately. We have insurance and can cancel. i really try to sort through the posts and disregard things that do not bother us, but they have been taking a beating lately. Wish I could get my confidence back about staying there. Any information helps.

Lincoln, Nebraska...
Level Contributor
48 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets Aura Cozumel question

We are booked to be there for 12 days starting July 3rd we are going with a positive outlook. Things are going to be great it is what you make of it. Talked to alot of people that have been there and they all had a great time. You have to remember you are going to mexico. Just have a great time

Waddy, Kentucky
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets Aura Cozumel question

We stayed there in April, first time at a Secrets and first time in Cozumel. Previous trips have been to Jamaica and a now-closed all inclusive there. We enjoyed ourselves and have no complaints, but we are very much low key, island time, inexpensive-hotel-staying-kind of folks. Actually we felt a little over pampered by the staff! Weather was perfect during our stay though. Definitely in need of more nightlife! Otherwise, I think it all depends on what you want. If you have specific questions about certain things (pool slides being closed, renovated rooms, etc.) email the concierge Justine Pyne (info.seacz@secretsresorts.com). She is amazing and will help you out in any way you can. A lot of what I read on trip reports seems that people don't realize Cozumel is a sleepy little dive island NOT in America; that this hotel has only been a Secrets property about 6 months; there are people who like to party and may be there trying to enjoy themselves in their preferred way; and when dealing with hotel staff, a little respect goes a very long way. Check out my trip review for more details!

Sunray, Texas
Level Contributor
248 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets Aura Cozumel question

We also are arriving July 3rd. This will be our first time there. Looking forward to it!

Austin, Texas...
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets Aura Cozumel question

More bad reviews... I'm really starting to think about cancelling our trip, and changing it to a different hotel and / or location...

Rockport, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets Aura Cozumel question

Hi Jason, I don't usually read reviews on AI's because I never stay there but after seeing your post I took a look-see and if I had booked that hotel I'd change it to Cozumel Palace in a HEART BEAT! Especially if it's costing $400 per night.

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Secrets Aura Cozumel question

I have never stayed at either, but just the palace being in town would make all the difference to me.In aug. it is very slow and going to town is a must for me. If it is really $400anight it just makes me wonder-i stay at hotel cozumel and it is $70 per person AI-is it $320 a night better- i don't see it. I would save the $400 a night and go for another week . But i go 4-5 times a year so i stay at a cheaper place.

Edited: 18 June 2013, 01:07