We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local art

Toledo, Ohio
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Local art

Looking for locals who sell their art work....is there a place where they sell?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,053 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local art

We met a local artist last winter. I wish I could remember his name or location. Surely an island resident will know. His studio is across the street from the flower shops on 25 and 1 Sur, I think. Great guy with real talent on island subjects as well as more modern works.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local art

In the square there is a lovely atist who I believe does mostly water colours of local scenes. She is usually on the south side a little ways in

MinneSNOWta
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Alexandria
Level Contributor
2,875 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local art

This is the facebook page for Cozumel Ironworks. She makes some pretty amazing iron art.

facebook.com/people/…100001778933390

Texas
Level Contributor
5,813 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local art

www.cozumelglassart.com/

Greg's art ain't cheap but worth every penny if you really appreciate great art. He also displays local artist's work. And yes, as mentioned above the lady on the plaza and Kim's metalworks. I also bought some nice art at the shop under Viva Mexico on Melgar...look upstairs. You can also do a search in the box above for past posts on local art. Are you looking for pictures/paintings or more like crafts?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,304 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Local art

Lucio Frias is a great painter. We have several of his pieces in our condo, a couple in our US home and offices.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/lucioantonio.friascorrea

His work is at several locations in Cozumel. Try Greg's place mentioned above, el Museo and the art galleries.

MinneSNOWta
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Alexandria
Level Contributor
2,875 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Local art

Who is the gal that does the watercolors? I know she has some stuff on t-shirts at Funky Bazaar.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Local art

Another place to check out is a store beside or a store or two beside La Mission

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Local art

The artist on 25 is Galo Ramirez -- his home/studio is usually open during the day and he offers a wide range of drawings and paintings..

Greg the glass artist displays his work, as well as those of other artists, at his home: Galleria Azul.

Funky Bazaar has art by local Beatriz Cornejo. There's another watercolor artist here named Sarah Pritchett, whose work is available at BOB's in the plaza -- between Aves. 5 & 10. BOB's also carries Kim's metawork. Wet Wendy's also has some watercolors displays -- I think they're prints of Sarah's work and there may also be some by Deb McBride there.

I bought a small Lucio Frias painting that I love at Caribbean Angel. This shop, which is next to Woody's bar on Juarez bet. 5 & 10, has graphic works by various people from the area.

Don't forget the Balam feather paintings, available at a kiosk near the plaza clocktower and at the Balam store on Ave. 5 bet. Juarez & 2.

Edited: 06 May 2012, 05:59
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
41,067 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Local art

Good info from deb. I consider local art as art done by a Mexican local resident and not by an ex pat working in Cozumel. I try to patronize and recommend the real locals when I can. And, as mentioned, you will find a number of talented ones.

Many locals seem to have a natural talent for art. I know two of my Mexican friends who are now young island school teachers, have amazing talent. My daughter has several of their sketches framed in her US home. They just did them one night at her kitichen table.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,304 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Local art

I guess it can be argued as to who/what is a "local' artist and I guess that is fine.

However, don't discount Greg's studio as not being "authentic". As mentioned, he has lots of pieces from other artists. Greg is married to a Mexican woman who is a talented photographer. Greg donates countless hours of time and his artwork to support local charities that benefit the island. He emcee'd an auction at a charity fundraiser we were at last year. Not only was a great auctioneer, he had everyone laughing hysterically at his antics and attempts to get people to bid higher and against their friends. Simply call his shop to verify he will be there as he works out of his "home/office".

Lucio's style has evolved over the last few years. Here's a pic of a piece he painted for us in 2006.

…google.com/105668205229311924773/…