We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cozumel Tourism Crisis

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,702 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Cozumel Tourism Crisis

In an article in todays Respuesta newspaper , the manager of the Barracuda Hotel, Juan Alberto Guzman, says its a serious crisis.(the Barracuda has been in business over 40 years) He says while the mayor and governor are off promoting the area at the Berlin tourism fair, the government claims 69 percent occupancy, the small hotels actually have about 15 percent. According to Guzman , ¨The reasons for the tourism crisis being experienced Cozumel are many.. Among these, according to Guzman, is "the breakdown of employment and the high cost of the ferry crossing." ¨

In another article, the merchants in the center say sales are down 50 percent. They say Cozumel has not tried to broaden its market and the cruise passengers spend little money but now only buy a few cheap items.

Since most of Cozumels 80,000 residents depend on the tourism industry, lets hope things improve soon.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
81. Re: Cozumel Tourism Crisis

Oh the fireworks from that marriage... I would have to fly down there just to see it.

Will there be domestic Budweiser? Do I park my moped in the dolphin or stingray pen? Will it be in English or Spanish? Can I walk John down the aisle to give him away?

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,492 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
82. Re: Cozumel Tourism Crisis

LOL I'll wear my best balloon hat!

--------------

"I truly believe that having some reasonable transit option would help."

NO KIDDING. That's been keeping a lot of people on resort property who could be shopping.

---------

...or eating out, or going dancing and having a few drinks, or taking tours that involve drinking (Tucan).

*sigh*

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,702 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
83. Re: Cozumel Tourism Crisis

"I truly believe that having some reasonable transit option would help."

I totally agree but as long as the taxi union remains one of the most powerful political forces on the island, you will see no low cost transportation on Cozumel.

MinneSNOWta
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
84. Re: Cozumel Tourism Crisis

I had hoped to have McDonalds cater but that's out now. Might have to check into party subs from Subway.

The ceremony will be in American with Canadian interpreting.

Yes, domestic Budweiser and my favorite, Keystone Light.

(sorry for hijacking this thread Robert, I'll stop now)

Level Contributor
35 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
85. Re: Cozumel Tourism Crisis

We will be traveling to Cozumel in July and staying at Cozumel Palace, we plan on leaving the resort twice, once to rent a car, just be adventurous, spend some pesos. Our other time will be to walk to the city and explore the restaurants and shops. We stopped at Cozumel 6 yrs ago during a cruise and are looking forward to going back. This is our only vacation all year, we have worked hard to afford the luxury, but the airfare was ridiculous, $600 ea from St. Louis. Luckily I can use my AA credit card miles for my ticket, otherwise I don't know if we would be going. This is our 3rd trip to Mexico and we always try to find some goodies to bring back for mementos, but most of the shops have the same items, most mass produced. I know, 2 yrs ago, I took a taxi from my condo in Playa Del Carmen to the local Walmart. The taxi driver took us on the street directly behind Avenida Cinco, yo wouldn't believe the many trucks making deliveries to the stores, the boxes were marked with Made in China, Made in Taiwan, etc..... Really??? I'm really not interested in that junk. Even though we are used to the bartering, it gets really old fast, it takes so much time to get anybody to agree on a reasonable price, kinda ruins the experience. Plus, it is MY vacation, I am there to relax at the AI and enjoy all they have to offer. See you Cozumel in July!!!

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
86. Re: Cozumel Tourism Crisis

You would/will love shopping at Los Cinco Soles. Quality stuff and a huge variety and no bartering. The price marked is the price. It's a few blocks north of the plaza. You could walk there. You have made a great choice for your once a year vacation that you have worked hard for...ENJOY!!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,702 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
87. Re: Cozumel Tourism Crisis

I agree about Cinco Soles. I take all my visitors there. You are assured of fair prices and good quality. Often the prices are better than if you wasted all your time bargaining.

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
88. Re: Cozumel Tourism Crisis

Robert, I am assuming that taxi union is the same all over Mexico? I have seen them "at work" in Cancun, Mazatlan and on Isla Mujeres. Cozumel has a bus system for locals. If you make an effort you can use it. From what I have seen it doesn't go anywhere near the square. Someone had a thread showing the routes, but there was a lot of discussion about the difficulty in using the system. That union is very strong and the certainly protect their own. I do not see any different modes of transportation showing up any time soon.

froglegs....I shopped at Los Cinco Soles this year for the first time. I really don't buy much, but totally enjoyed the shopping there. Very nice quality, variety and the prices were very reasonable. I read somewhere that they have the best vanilla. I had gone on their website and thought it was going to be really expensive. I got a 16 oz. bottle for $10.

Rockport, Texas
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
89. Re: Cozumel Tourism Crisis

Flipfloppin you picked a great resort! The location is perfect and it's an easy walk to town if you decide to get out more!

I agree with Cinco Soles. But if you are looking for a good quality clone purse shop at Nellys store next to Woodys in the square ;-)

Rockport, Texas
Level Contributor
331 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
90. Re: Cozumel Tourism Crisis

Probably the tourist feel safer at the big AI resorts as opposed to the smaller ones. They don't even have to leave the property if they don't feel like it.