We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antibiotics

ohio
Level Contributor
129 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Antibiotics

Whats the current policy ?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,829 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Antibiotics

Many now require prescriptions and many are enforcing. Recently had to to the doctor for my cipro--a first.

Ruston, LA
Level Contributor
668 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Antibiotics

Just returned on Sunday from an eight day trip. We went to a couple of places where we usually have been able to buy antibiotics such as z-paks with no problem.

First two places did not have any. Then we went to Mega. They had them but required a doctors prescription.

At the airport while waiting for our flight we sat down just across from the little pharmacy shop. There were dozens of bottles of antibiotics on the shelves for sale without a prescription. Z-paks that had been $17 were now $30. My wife bought one bottle.

Talked with a good Mexican friend of ours and asked her if she was having a problem getting meds for her children. No problem as long as you get a prescription.

Looks like the days of cheap over the counter antibiotics are gone.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,829 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Antibiotics

Well, maybe not exactly. I went to the Farmacia Similares (Dr. Semi) doctor for 35 pesos and with the Cipro and another he gave me, I spent 112 pesos total .And they had a promotion and I got a free bag of sugar ha ha.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Antibiotics

You need a prescription by law. Sometimes they ask for ID, copy it, copy the prescription and give me the prescription copy (keeping the original) - to prevent me using the same prescription twice. There are many free doctors next to pharmacies so there is no increase in cost - just more of a hassle.

ohio
Level Contributor
129 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Antibiotics

So where the best place without a prescription ?

6. Re: Antibiotics

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 19:49
Get answers to your questions about Cozumel
Recent Conversations