We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime in Cozumel

texas
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Crime in Cozumel

Hi,

I have heard reports that the crime in Mexico is bad but was wondering if Cozumel in particular is ok.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

-Andrew

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
797 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Crime in Cozumel

In regards to the walls surrounding many of the homes. Often the walls are built before the construction of the house to protect the building materials from theft during construction of the home inside.

Actually, that is a bit of a problem even where I live here in Canada. One example is that air conditioners and hot water tanks are never delivered until the day of installation. Even things like 2x4s and bricks are a good target for theft.

Also, the walls are a privacy thing. You may have noticed that in Cozumel as well as many parts of Mexico a nice home often has a very poor shack next door. I guess the "out of sight, out of mind" philosophy is at work here.

Have a great day,

RotarianDavid

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,422 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Crime in Cozumel

I've wandered the streets at 1-2AM and have never been hassled or bothered. The greatest danger is from the sidewalks and tripping.

Now, leave a laptop sitting on the front seat of your Jeep and it may not be there when you get back. Leave a bike unlocked and it may not be there either.

We've left our cooler and kites in the back of our jeep while beach hopping and never had a problem and we've been doing this for 12 years.

I think what you are seeing is a reaction to petty, small crime.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Crime in Cozumel

Last time we were in Coz I was talking to a cab driver about this subject. I was telling him how I felt so safe there and how nice and cooperative everybody was. He said the people of Cozumel are very family oriented and that the families there "police" themselves and crime is almost non-existent. He did tell me to be careful about leaving stuff sitting out as there may be some petty theft but I have never had that problem.

Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Crime in Cozumel

Some of the people who live there must be more concerned about the crime rate than having walls like that because of custom or as a privacy issue, because I've seen quite a few walls where the owners have imbeded broken glass into concrete at the top of the walls to prevent someone from climbing over it.

Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Crime in Cozumel

OK now...who's mis-behaving on page one ???

Very long story short.... once I left a camera bag in a taxi with cash, credit cards, passports, traveler checks and a camera.....a little more than an hour later....the same driver handed it back to me....untouched...he never even opened it.....He simply said "Senior, you left this in my car" Talk about honesty.....

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,422 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Crime in Cozumel

Hobie169,

My friends from down south call the glass imbedded on the top of a wall like that a "New Orleans fence". I had to laugh when I first saw one there......"must be someone from N.O. living there", I thought. It would definitely make me think twice about climbing the top.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Crime in Cozumel

The glass on the walls also prevents birds from standing there and depositing souvenirs on heads, walls, and walkways.

Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Crime in Cozumel

Well, talk about crime - New Orleans would win a prize.

I grew up in Chicago and when I was a poor college student I lived in a cheap apartment in a neighborhood that most people avoided at all costs, especially after dark. It was nicknamed "The Jungle". Seriously. To any Chicagoans out there that was around the Howard and Clark St. down to Sheridan Rd. area - in the early 70's.

So, Cozumel seems safe enough to me. Of course, after living in said neighborhood, just about anywhere feels safe to me.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
441 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Crime in Cozumel

Hobie

I think to clarify this subject..VIOLENT crime in Cozumel is almost unheard of. Petty theft and burgalry can be a problem in any society, but remember there are alot of poverty here and if someonedoes not use common sence and safty they are inviting a theft. I have been going to Cozumel for over 10 years, both alonbe and with my children. My boys have been running around the Island alone since age 13, the older one often fishing with a local friend until 3 am, and I always feel he is safe. Here in Pensacola, even with the boys at almost 18 and 19, I start to call hospitals and the police when it gets past midnight. The only problem we have ever had is a stolen backpack, which my son carelessly left on the sidewalk and walked away from. He retuned 3 minutes later to find his CDs, player, and Christmas money long gone...HIS FAULT. I have my bike down there with a bike lock, lol, that is broken. Last 2 trips I just wrapped the lock wire to make it "LOOK" locked and it was there when I returned each time.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
533 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Crime in Cozumel

These are cultural and privacy measures more than anything else.

The glass on the top of the walls is to keep people from climbing the walls as well as to keep certain animals out of the yard. Not only to prevent burglaries.

Bars on the windows are not a new thing and have been around for years, and years, and years. It is a cutlural thing here. When I built my house, I wasn't planning to put them up because I think they're ugly...but the builder told me they were included and highly advised that I have them installed. I had a million designs to choose from as well. They are also great when it comes time to board up for a hurricane. If the bars are installed properly (mine were) then you just have your precut boards and they slide in right in between the windows and the protector bars, so you don't have to nail holes in your cement walls.

High walls are absolutely for privacy...have you ever noticed how close things are built together here?

I also did not have my porch enclosed in walls or bars initially, but shortly after moving in, I enclosed it. Why? Because people started using my porch as a rest stop....if it's open, there are no boundaries and it is considered public domain by most of the peeople here. Again, that's a cultural thing...not because they are bad people. So, I put a gate around my porch, but don't lock it. No one comes in uninvited.

Yes, just like anywhere else in the world, petty theft and burglaries happen...but home burglaries typically only happen when "invited." Meaning if every house has bars and then one doesn't...it makes an easy target.