We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime in Cozumel

texas
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Crime in Cozumel

Hi,

I have heard reports that the crime in Mexico is bad but was wondering if Cozumel in particular is ok.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

-Andrew

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crime in Cozumel

Crime is not a big problem at all in Cozumel. I've heard a few reports of petty theft but it's small stuff. You'll feel totally safe walking around back streets at 3am drunk as a skunk if you so choose. It really is a pleasant aspect to Coz. Never felt unsafe there at all.

Mark

Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crime in Cozumel

To sum it up very quickly....Cozumel is one of the safest destinations you can visit for your holiday. I've been going there for over 7 years, and have never heard of any major crime problems....also there are plenty of armed police in and around town.....

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crime in Cozumel

I guess I never noticed the police having guns. The federales/military have automatic weapons. Your biggest threats are timeshare folks, marginal sidewalks (holes etc) in some areas, sunburn and mopeds. Get out and about while in Cozumel. Most likely it is safer than where you live (if you are near a big city).

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,281 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crime in Cozumel

I agree, CoPilot, the police I have seen carry no guns. Of course, some of the military do.

A very safe place. A smart person would not try a crime on an island--a bit difficult to escape! Playa del Carmen and other mainland cities are a different story---much more crime.

Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crime in Cozumel

My bad, I was talking about the two people that sit in the car at the dock that was labled "Policia". They had what I thought were guns strapped to their side when they approched me....It could have been Tropical Drink despensers....I should have asked...

Sunray, Texas
Level Contributor
248 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crime in Cozumel

I agree, we have never felt the least bit uncomfortable about our saftey in Cozumel. Vet safe place.

Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crime in Cozumel

If it's not that bad in town, why do so many of the houses there have tall walls, usually made of brick or cinderblocks with locking gates that guard the front of the house? I know it's usually safe enough to walk around the island but the walls thing has always puzzled me. I fiqured it must have something to do with burglaries. And I've read some stories in Por Esto! and, as anywhere else, crime is certainly not unheard of there.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I remember that some years ago Tony Rome wrote in a post that he went home after work to find his entire house cleaned out by a burglary. Lost everything valuable - 6 -7 years ago I think?

I wouldn't paint such a rosy picture that people go ahead - thinking it's safe - and leave valuables in an open vehicle and that kind of thing. Like anywhere else, use good judgement.

But the areas in Mexico that have all out wars between drug cartels? That is a whole different world. I wouldn't touch Alcopolco with a hundred mile pole.

Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crime in Cozumel

Of course, Alcopolca is sometimes known as Acapulco - my bad.

Michigan
Level Contributor
943 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crime in Cozumel

Your right. The high walls and gates and bars on windows are because of theft. Many rich Americans have homes in Cozumel and many of them have things that the average/poor person living there does not have. This I am sure can be very tempting. Many of these homes are empty most of the year also. This makes them easy targets for the few dishonest or desperate people that there are. There are always a few bad apples on the tree. But Cozumel as a whole to me is one of the safest places I have ever visited. The people are generally happy and helpful. From everything I have read and researched and from talking to friends that live there and friends that have vacation homes on the island, petty theft is and can be a problem but most other crimes are not. Like Robert said. Someone who commits a big crime would not be very smart. Not many ways to escape off an island.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,281 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crime in Cozumel

I have often ask about the bars because the crime rate is low here. I think its some sort of thing with the Mexican culture---you find the same thing in San Antonio , Tx and Laredo, Tx and many cities with a high hispanic population. Not a bad thing but , to me, just seems to be something they do and not particularly related to the crime rate.

And car theft definitely not a problem on an island!