We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Travel and Leisure" Best Cozumel Beach Picks!

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
"Travel and Leisure" Best Cozumel Beach Picks!

I tend to disagree with their choices but everyone can't always agree!

travelandleisure.com/trip-ideas/beach-vacati…

11 replies to this topic
Arlington WA
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Travel and Leisure" Best Cozumel Beach Picks!

I'm thinking the author of this article has never been to Cozumel. 'Playa Bonita...'Gentle waves make it a relaxing destination for swimming and kayaking.' Really? some days, sure. Most days, we'll be reading about you in the news. I've swum and body surfed there but I sure wouldn't recommend it to everybody every day! And, where, pray tell, does one rent a kayak there? We've never seen one. And where is Punta Sur on this list? That's the best, most gorgeous swimming beach on the island and a great snorkeling reef to boot! that does it - I'm going to be a travel writer. ;)

Edited: 19 September 2017, 01:24
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,114 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Travel and Leisure" Best Cozumel Beach Picks!

I had read the article earlier but didn't post anything about it because I also found it so inaccurate.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Travel and Leisure" Best Cozumel Beach Picks!

I agree. Maybe the author will change her story if she ever actually visits Cozumel.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Travel and Leisure" Best Cozumel Beach Picks!

I am with Sam on this. Punta Sur beach is IMHO the best beach on the island and it didn't even make the list.

Playa Bonita kind of doesn't even HAVE a beach anymore, unless you walk considerably to the South, and then its risky going out past waist deep.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Travel and Leisure" Best Cozumel Beach Picks!

The funny part that Punta Sur is not mentioned, is that the lead picture in the article sure looks like a view north of Punta Sur from the Lighthouse. Yes I know its not the beach club, but its still Punta Sur.

Arlington WA
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Travel and Leisure" Best Cozumel Beach Picks!

zman: I think you're right about the pic - that is funny.

fort worth
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Travel and Leisure" Best Cozumel Beach Picks!

Not much of an article in my opinion. Makes me wonder how much time they ever spent in Cozumel.

Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Travel and Leisure" Best Cozumel Beach Picks!

LOL! Not only does Playa Bonita not have much of a beach these days like Eno says, but that little sliver of beach is dotted with fallen palapas and lots of basura. I don't feel like Chen Rio is much better. I like their ceviche there, though.

New Springfield...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: "Travel and Leisure" Best Cozumel Beach Picks!

I see that you all recommend Punta Sur. We have a large group of 19 coming in October on a cruise. We will be in Cozumel for the day. What is the best way for a large group to get there? Is there food/drink? We have adults and teenagers and are looking for recommendations. Any help would be appreciated! :)

Arlington WA
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Travel and Leisure" Best Cozumel Beach Picks!

Papito's beach club at Punta Sur has good food and drinks. As for getting there, probably a couple of taxi vans for the day. Maybe someone else here has other options for you. Have fun!

Reply to: "Travel and Leisure" Best Cozumel Beach Picks!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted