We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to Avoid

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,052 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
Places to Avoid

You might like to read the list of 7 vacation places to avoid from Architectural Digest. I enjoyed because I agreed with many , including their number one spot .

https://tinyurl.com/y8jpvpnc

Edited: 16 September 2017, 22:55
20 replies to this topic
North Providence...
Level Contributor
392 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to Avoid

Thanks for sharing the article, Robert. I also agree about most of the places on this list, especially #1. An interesting read.

Cartagena, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to Avoid

I generally agree with the list pertaining to my own travel style. But Cancun and Las Vegas are what they are. Places for people to go and party and act stupidly. I live close to Niagara Falls and haven't been there in 6 years for the reasons mentioned in the article. I always avoid small towns with 1 major tourist attraction. Places like Pisa would be a nightmare vacation for me.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,499 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to Avoid

It's been years but the church that you see in the picture of Pisa was one that I felt was worth the trip. The actual tower was a major disappointment. For me, it was like that old joke...I thought you were taller.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,575 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to Avoid

I have only been to 1 and 2, but, would go back to either of them.... for that matter I would LOVE to go to any of the places on this list.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to Avoid

Totally agree with Niagra Falls. Was there last September on a trip of the Maritime provinces in Canada. Old 3 star hotels and unappealing restaurants. Many businesses closed. Highly overrated IMHO.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,052 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to Avoid

Enjoyed reading all the comments. And agree that Cancun and Las Vegas are what they are. I find Cancun is for those who like to say they visited Mexico without really going to Mexico.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
730 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to Avoid

I have been to every place on the list. I have lived for a prolonged period of time in one of them. The only one I agree with and I only agree with it for personal reasons in Cancun.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to Avoid

We've been to 1, 2, 3 and 6. Las Vegas for the first time last year but not gamblers so found it not as much fun like some would.

Got stuck in Orlando last week because of Irma but like the area and go every year. Niagara falls is nice but way over priced.

Love Cancun and the whole Riviera Maya. Cannot talk my wife into going non All Inclusive. Maybe later. Transportation system is the best so renting a car is unnecessary especially hearing about the glaring corrupt police shakedowns. Would like to get out and see more of the country and eventually will.

Like Tie Dye Guys comment.

Thanks Robert.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to Avoid

I clicked the link, saw it was at Faux News, and immediately clicked back! Seriously, getting your travel tips from Faux News is like like getting stock tips from a crack head in an alley! Lol

From your comments I assume that Cancun was one of the places on the list...

While I would likely never go to Cancun ever again, I can't tell people not to go there. The very things that turn me off about it are what some other people actually want in a vacation. Human beings' tastes are too varied to all want the same thing, and a list like this is purely subjective and based upon the personal likes and interests of the author.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,052 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Places to Avoid

As always, good comments by Eno. While I was aware of the source of the article, the original source is very reputable. I will say that they do cater to an upscale crowd and most of the places mentioned that crowd would not find appealing, in my opinion. But as said, different things appeal to different people.

Reply to: Places to Avoid
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted