We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drowning in Cancun

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Drowning in Cancun

I just found out that a friend of an employee drowned in Cancun yesterday. He left behind a wife and 3 children.

He had underestimated the power of the current and had waded out too far.

Please be aware of the strength and direction of the current, don't wade out too far, and pay special attention to the red flag warnings.

I will post more info on the exact location as I receive today.

Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
31. Re: Drowning in Cancun

My understanding is that he went out in a kayak with 2 tourists to snorkel. According to his wife, the 3 men went out really far and there were boats/seadoos all around. He did not have a life jacket. When the 2 tourists came back (without him) they said he had decided to swim back to shore. The "swimming back to shore" seemed a little strange. Hopefully an autopsy was peformed to give the family a little more closure.

dreaming of cancun
Level Contributor
326 posts
Save Reply
32. Re: Drowning in Cancun

how sad.. I am praying for his family

Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: Drowning in Cancun

My husband and I attended the visitation last night. It was heart breaking. I did find out that foul play was ruled out.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Drowning in Cancun

This is really sad, I cannot imagine.

Just like those Canadians that were murdered at the Barcelo, visiting for their child's wedding. Just unbelieivable. Vacation is like a celebration and to have something so horrible happen is just unimaginable to me.

I am glad to hear that foul play was ruled out. That made the story not only sad, but scary as well. I hope others can learn from this and give the ocean the respect it deserves.

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Drowning in Cancun

Denise, thanks for all of the first hand information. It seems that information changes slightly when passed through too many people. It was nice to get your information that was straight from Heidi.

California
Level Contributor
569 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Drowning in Cancun

I don't want to speak ill of the dead, but what in heaven's name was he doing messing with the coral any way? Isn't that against the law in Mexico? Wouldn't trying to bring back a piece of that coral to the US be illegal, too?

I think the punishment, if that is what it was, certainly did not fit the crime. Nobody thinks that death is the right measure of recompense for trying to take a bit of coral. Very sad, indeed.

As far as life-preservers go, I certainly don't want to wear one when I go snorkling. I can't imagine how much additional effort is required to snorkel-dive with a jacket on. Just doesn't make sense. I'm not particularly fit and with fins and a mask I can stay afloat (or out in the water) for 4 hours without feeling the least bit tired. Done that a number of times off El Garrafon. Maybe it is just because I'm comfortable in the water and don't over-exert when I don't need to, but I think of snorkling as an extremely safe activity. I know one rarely hears of snorkling deaths. Maybe I'm just sheltered in that respect.

Which all points to the fact that something happened when he was trying to extract the coral. Truly an accident. A very sad accident.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
311 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Drowning in Cancun

Murder at the Barcelo? Could some one shed a little light on this topic or at least post a link to the thread?

I'm curious as I will be staying there next month.

Thanks

Limbo
Level Contributor
2,816 posts
Save Reply
38. Re: Drowning in Cancun

Your best bet would be to google it...it happened a month or so ago (maybe more?) and many of the threads related to this topic were deleted.

Riverside...
Level Contributor
3,698 posts
1 review
Save Reply
39. Re: Drowning in Cancun

The deaths at Barcelo Maya happened many months ago - probably closer to six months. If you Google Canadian murders barcelo, you should get some info.

Texas
12 posts
Save Reply
40. Re: Drowning in Cancun

I am trying to find out about a drowning in Cancun but am not sure if it is the same person. The guy I am talking about is Todd Haddix from Burleson Tx. Do you know him?