We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun - foods TO AVOID and foods TO EAT

Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Cancun - foods TO AVOID and foods TO EAT

Does anyone have tips and suggestions to steer us all clear of the foods to avoid, and specific restaurants....

and of course what TO ORDER that might be safer to eat, and specific restaurants...

Thanks so much for this forum!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
886 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun - foods TO AVOID and foods TO EAT

Stay away from BBQ'd insects...

They're pretty popular down there.

Cancun
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun - foods TO AVOID and foods TO EAT

I would say there is nothing to avoid here, not sure what you mean. The restaurants are all safe, the food is safe, it won't be the food that makes you sick. Too much of everything (food, drink, sun, etc), a diet that you might not be accustomed to (more seafood than usual perhaps, spices, salsas) and a change in sleeping habits.

I think it would be dangerous and foolish to say a certain restaurant makes you sick. Everyone will react differently. There is not a restaurant here that is "unsafe", noone wants their customers to get sick. Fruits and vegetables are washed in a special solution, not just in tap water. Heck, I eat tacos out of the trunks of cars on the side of the road! Anything in the hotel zone or tourist restaurants downtown will be sanitary and concerned about their customers health.

Relax, enjoy, partake in everything. Just don't overdo it.

Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun - foods TO AVOID and foods TO EAT

Then why is nearly every post on every website talking about how the food is making them sick...and also not to brush your teeth in the tap water at a resort even?

There seem to be more people getting sick than NOT getting sick if you read any of these posts. I'm not trying to make anything of this, I'm merely asking what foods have people eaten there with no problems.

With so many posts warning people not to drink the water or even TAKE THE ICE...what is one supposed to think?

I'd like to think I could have a margarita with ice and not get ill.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
41,070 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun - foods TO AVOID and foods TO EAT

You will always find those who love to post the gloom and doom posts regarding the food and drink.

If you take the same precautions as you would in travel anywhere, you will have no problems. I eat most anything and never had a problem--some of my favorites being from the little taco stands. Absolutely not a problem to have a margarita with the ice--it is purified and safe.

The only precaution, do as the locals and never drink anything but bottled water. Resorts may tell you they purify their water, I avoid that also.

It often has nothing to do with Mexico but with tourists trying to set records for alcohol and food consumption. I have Mexican friends who often visited me in the US and always one of the family got sick. But I didnt hear them warning everyone to avoid food and drink in the US!

Bottom line, take basic, normal precautions and enjoy!!

Cancun
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancun - foods TO AVOID and foods TO EAT

The ice is all purified, no restaurant or bar is going to make their own ice from tap water.

I'm not saying people don't get sick, I am just saying that it is MOST LIKELY not from the food. Yes, drink bottled water and if it makes you feel safer brush your teeth with bottled water too. The water in the hotel zone is filtered and should be fine for brushing and washing, though I still wouldn't drink it. Foods are not washed in just plain water (every home here has a product called BioPur or something like it to cleanse fruits and vegetables and hotels are no different).

If you have a sensitive stomach, then stick to familiar foods in familiar quantities. You might want to avoid food that looks like it's been sitting on the buffet for too long (but that goes for buffets anywhere, not just Mexico).

I would say the percentage of people who get sick is VERY small compared to those who don't. I think it's often paranoia added to all the over doing it.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
13,634 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancun - foods TO AVOID and foods TO EAT

I've never gotten sick, must have been to Mexico 12 times by now. I eat everything, drink lots of Pina coloadas and more. I have been sick here at home, tho. Heck, just got back from Applebees and had some bathroom issues.

Don't drink the tap water, it's not that hard to do. Almost every resort will supply you with bottled water (all inclusives). Just make sure you drink bottled water.

Some people have suggested to cut back on fruit and salads. Never bothered me, eat LOTS of the fruit when I'm in Mexico. Also heard that lots of milky fruity drinks can do it. Not sure about that either, drink lots of pinas and fruity drinks.

I also think every body is different. We eat "Mexican" food here at home 5-6X a week, so maybe we are a bit more tolerant to basic spices used in Mexican foods, I'm not sure.

I always pack Pepto, in case. I used to take a swig every morning. Stopped doing that about 6 trips ago, and I actually feel better not taking it. Most people get sick because the eat too much, drink too much............plus it's hotter down there than you might be used to it. Add all that up, and you'd get sick anywhere.

I love when someone says they got sick from the "bad seafood" or whatever. How can anyone possibly know what made them sick??? What if you touched something, picked up a germ, and licked your fingers. Really, I'm just saying it could be anything, but we are very quick to point our fingers at some food we think might have done it. Dehydration probably can play a big role in getting sick, too. Everyone knows that alcohol dehydrates you, add the heat and sun.........well, that can do it too. Drink lots of water, not just alcohol!

Really, don't worry about getting sick. I actually think people who do get sick, made themselves sick by just worrying about it.

go and have a great time!!!!!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancun - foods TO AVOID and foods TO EAT

The CDC website (Center for Disease Control) has a whole section on travel to Mx. including food safety. It has recommended shots, Hepatitis A (you get it passed on through contaminated food) information.

You can start there to get the facts.

We use bottled water to brush our teeth. I eat only at our resort or at well know chain restaurants.

manchester
Level Contributor
3,116 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancun - foods TO AVOID and foods TO EAT

hi zsa zsa

indestructable go girl

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cancun - foods TO AVOID and foods TO EAT

As someone else suggested, Wash your hands often. We take the travel size hand sanitizers and use them frequently. I've been in enough public restrooms without the basic soap and water to clean up.

When you travel you are exposed to tons of germs you wouldn't normally be around. In the airplane, airport, cabs, just think how many other people have touched something you will touch. It is not always the food that makes you sick. Wash your hands alot.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cancun - foods TO AVOID and foods TO EAT

Both BubbaQ and Idon't really think twice about what foods we eat down in cancun. I've always heard the "oh you have to avoid vegetables and any fruits that aren't pealed" and I approach it as Well what the heck fun is that?

If we walk by a place that smells yummy, we go in and order what ever we feel like having. And yes, in the past, that has included some hole in the wall places that may have looked questionable.

Most I ever suffer from is heartburn, so I pack lots of tums and a little bottle of some stuff a friend of mine's homeopathic Doc recommended to help with la tourista. ( =

I would tend to agree with what I've always been told and on most occasions people get sick from the extra amounts of alcohol they are drinking, not enough water, and over exposure to the sun ... then blame it on something they ate for dinner.