We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulum-What time does it open

united states
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Tulum-What time does it open

We want to go on a Sunday...early. To avoid the heat, and then to eat brunch along the way back to Cancun. If we get there around 8 in the morning, will there be guides we can hire for a small history lesson. We'd be visiting on Sep 3.

Is there a cost for entering the grounds where the ruins are? And what about the cost for a guide for an hour or 1-1/2 hrs?

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,784 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tulum-What time does it open

Hours can vary depending on season at Tulum but the general rule of thumb is between 8AM and 5PM. Hours are sometimes extended to 6PM and 7PM, especially during summer.

Admission use to be free on Sundays but that now only applies to Nationals. The admission cost was the equivalent of $3.50 US but I seem to remember paying a bit more for some reason this past March.

A guide to the ruins probably can be flushed out for about $20.00 US plus tip at that hour of the morning for an hour or so. Cheaper if you wander around and haggle a bit or speak the native tongue.

There's also a nominal fee for parking and for the tram cart thing they use to haul tourists to the ruins entrance that is optional.

Wiltshire, U.K.
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tulum-What time does it open

It's quite a way from Cancun. You would have to set off pretty early to get there when it opens.

We went from Playa so I couldn't tell you exactly... but I'd guess it's at least an hour and a half. Maybe two.

Can anyone be more specific???

Well worth getting there early though.

We got there at about 9.30 and it was perfect. Not too busy, not too hot.

By the time we left at lunch time it was getting really busy and a bit hot and sticky.

(BTW... If you want to buy any souvenirs don't forget to barter with the shopkeepers... they inflate their prices expecting you to do so.)

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,784 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tulum-What time does it open

Lil, Tulum is about 85 miles/ 135 KM from Cancun and an hour and 45 minutes to two hours away from Cancun depending on who's driving.

united states
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tulum-What time does it open

I realize it would be early. But, getting to see the day start over the blue waters...pretty small sacrifice. I'm going to drive it. (I've driven all over Mexico, so not afraid of it at all.)

Then be out of there by 9 and meet some friends at their resort for Sunday brunch. Then back to the Gran Melia for pool/snooze. Ahhh!

5. Re: Tulum-What time does it open

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 19:49