We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sand Fleas OR Mosquito's in cancun

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
356 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sand Fleas OR Mosquito's in cancun

Does anyone know if there are sand fleas or mosquito's here?

Okie
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sand Fleas OR Mosquito's in cancun

just got back and didn't get bit once....stayed on the beach during the day and outside at night and not a one....didn't even have to use our spray

don't think I even saw a mosquito

TEXAS
Level Contributor
449 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sand Fleas OR Mosquito's in cancun

I've never been bitten by anything in Cancun.....well.....except......anyway.....

There was this one time on the beach I stepped on something.....don't know what it was but it burned like fire...!!!....I looked at my foot and right in the arch was a piece of what looked like seaweed....I tried to pull it off and it wouldn't let go.....finally got it off but couldn't tell what it was because of the sand......it left a big knot on my foot and was red and sore the rest of the trip.....anybody have any idea what that coulda' been.....???

BSQ
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sand Fleas OR Mosquito's in cancun

definitely mosquitos, though they are kept under control for the most par tin the hotel zone. If you venture into the jungle, you'll need a strong bug repellant.

I'm one that mosquitos feast on, so I usually have to spray my arms n legs when we go out at night. During the day it's not an issue.

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
356 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sand Fleas OR Mosquito's in cancun

BSQ They feast on my mom too! We were thinking of staying in Riviera Maya until I saw that they were all in the thick of the rain forest. Thank you all for your posts.

MANOFSTEEL I'm thinking that maybe it was a sea urchin or maybe there was part of a jelly fish in the sea weed, they burn really bad.

Thanks everyone for the replys

PA

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sand Fleas OR Mosquito's in cancun

Yes there are Sand Fleas to or chaquistes as we refer to them but usually only at dusk and dawn.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sand Fleas OR Mosquito's in cancun

Or the sting may have been from a stingray but they say that it is pain that is on the same level as passing a stone or Childbirth.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,088 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sand Fleas OR Mosquito's in cancun

We travel to the area quite a bit lately, and the only time I had a problem (and it was a HUGE problem) was back in Dec in Playa at Secrets Capri. Was bit constantly on the ankles when on the sand in the evenings. Mosquitos broke in to our room and I was eaten alive at night! Of course, the one trip I didn't bother packing bug spray, and the hotel gift shop didn't have any eihter. The last night was bit on my upper lip, causing it to swell to several times it's normal size. I realize people pay big bucks for that, but not my thing! Finally hubby asked in the lobby and the bell boy had some that he gave me. How nice!

TEXAS
Level Contributor
449 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Sand Fleas OR Mosquito's in cancun

That's kinda what I thought it was that I stepped on....a jellyfish.....never saw it though......all my drunken friends were yellin' at me too pee on it.......but I didn't.....if some people frown on topless sunbathing, no way that would have gone over....

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sand Fleas OR Mosquito's in cancun

Peeing on it is Exactly what you should have done. The best and handiest remedy in that situation. The alternatives are finding Windex or Vineger.

TEXAS
Level Contributor
449 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Sand Fleas OR Mosquito's in cancun

It sure did hurt.......I remember hoping it wouldn't fall off.....