We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sea lice

usa
14 posts
Save Topic
sea lice

I`ve seen quite a few posts regarding sea lice, are they really a problem.I will be there from 4-23/4-29.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

TEXAS
Level Contributor
449 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: sea lice

Wear protection....

Sea Lice = Bootie cooties...!!

Just kidding....I think....maybe...

2. Re: sea lice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2006, 18:23
DETROIT
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sea lice

when the Waiter took one look at my Arms at Iwana Iguana He said...

"You got the Lice"...Me and My Husband Laughed until we about pee'd on ourselves.We still laugh about it till this day about it.

Just wash off really really well after getting out of the Sea and You'll have no problems...

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sea lice

Posted on: 8:15 pm, Feb 07, 2006 Report inappropriate post

Since there seems to be alot of interest in Sea Lice I thought I would post information from the

Universidad Nacional Autonoma De Mexico

What is the Thimble Jellyfish?

This marine animal is a small jellyfish resembling a thimble that measures about 1" in diameter and is conspicuosly mottled with dark brown markings. This Jellyfish, together with corals, seaanemones, hydeoids and hydras are included in a group of animals without skeletons named cnidarians. One characteristic of this important group is that they have numerous stinging cells called nematocystswhich act as microscopic syringes to inject toxins when touched.

Along the Mexican Caribbean coast dense aggregations of the THIMBLE JELLYFISH appear everyyear from late January to early June. The Jellyfish occur in 3 swimmming stages as juveniles or ephrae, as adults and as larvae or planulae. They are transported by winds and currents to other areas on the time scale of a few hours to a few days.

WHY IS THERE A NEED FOR A WARNING ON THE THIMBLE JELLYFISH?

Accidental contact with this jellyfish causes a skinrash known as seabathers eruption.

This dermatites is characterized by the acute appearance of small itchy erythmas that may, in some cases, evolve into pustules. This eruption occures predominantly on body areas that are covered by the bathing suit or subjected to pressure or rubbing, such as armpits, neck, groinand inner thighs.In some cases the dermatites includes chills, fever nausea, headache and weakness, particularly in children. Symptoms don not appear untill hours (1 to 24) after leaving the water.Because of this , Seabathers eruption is sometimes confused with viral gastroenterites or varicella (chicken pox). The lesions usually persist from a few days to weeks, after wich they spontaneously heal.

SOME PREVENTATIVE MEASURES.

Perons with histories of allergies should avoid swimming in waters infested with Thimble Jellyfish. Swimmers who must risk exposure should avoid the use of T'shirts as they trap the thimble Jellyfish between skin and clothing thus increasing the severity of the reaction. After exposure to seawater, swimmers SHOULD NOT SHOWER WITH FRESH WATER. Fresh water triggers the stinging cells. It is advisable to change out of bathing suit as soon as possible and apply vinegar wich neitralizes the nematocysts that cling to the skin but have not yet released their toxins. Bathing suits should be thouroghly washed with detergent as symptoms may recur if contaminated suits that were poorly washed are re-worn.

Is there Treatment?

When the lesions are minimal the application of creams and lotions to reduce the rash is recommended . The use of antihystamines is often helpful but should not be done without consulting a Physician. In severe cases topical and systemic steroids may be used but always under Medical supervisiopn. IMORTANT,

DO NOT SCRATCH the affected areas because this can lead to skin infections

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
832 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sea lice

Thanks Cunspin. I always thought sea lice were a joke. Guess we have been lucky in dodging those little buggers.