We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why is Cancun Police Corrupt? Do not rent a car!

Boston MA
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Why is Cancun Police Corrupt? Do not rent a car!

POLICE IN CANCUN ARE CORRUPT !!! DO NOT EVER NEVER RENT A CAR THERE

we just got back, rented a car got pulled DRIVING to our hotel. senor told us "pay 60$ or we'll take you to police station and take your licence" Gave him $60 dollars, he put it in his pocket, no paperwork involved. then we noticed a police car with the lights on every half a mile or so. They will wait for you on the returns from one direction to another, this is where you slow down/stop and they can clearly see the rent sticker in the top left corner and judge by your looks are you worth the shakedown. Other times they will start trailing you, and if they notice you have the sticker in the window, they 'll stop you for a shakedown. We drove total of 4 times and got pullled to pay cash for nondescript reasons 2x with threat of keeping the licence passport and taking you to the station. In hotel they told us that these guys pocket the money and that we should call the hotel and concierge would talk to them (? hotel person arguing with the p[olice in your behalf?) , but after 50% shakedowns and two other families naive enough to rent a car got $250 for "running the curb" and $100 for "no seatbelt" we parked the car and did not use it. Do NOT Drive with your passport/licence or any money, they will just take it. When we complained at AVIS they just laughed at us, clearly knew about this, I am not sure whether they are more involved, the indentifying "rent Sticker" that helps police shake you down is placed by AVIS/other rent companies

DO NOT EVER NEVER RENT A CAR IN CANCUN /YUCATAN PENINSULA !!!!

use buses instead

Marsa Alam, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why is Cancun Police Corrupt? Do not rent a car!

I'm sorry for your affliction.

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Why is Cancun Police Corrupt? Do not rent a car!

I rent cars 8-10 times per year and never any issues. beepac I am certain was speeeding or doing something else illegal as the cops do not pull you over for no reason. I will continue renting and I certainly hope beepac spreads the word not to as it keeps my rental car rates down when demand is low. thanks beepac

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
505 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Why is Cancun Police Corrupt? Do not rent a car!

BVG, I find it hard to believe that they pull you over for no reason after reading numerous similar posts. In addition, our local Mexican driver on our transfer to our hotel last year advised us that it is a common occurrence to be shaken down by the police.

West Springfield...
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why is Cancun Police Corrupt? Do not rent a car!

BVG Steve- what an ignorant thing to say, obviously you don't know ANYONE who works in the police force...unjustifiably pulling someone over is a daily occurrence, which possibly will conclude with a justifiable arrest, fine, or BRIBE......this is common knowledge in small town USA, nevermind a major tourist locations in Mexico...I realize this is your second home but that doesn't make it special or exempt!!!

Edited: 20 August 2011, 10:35
Boston
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why is Cancun Police Corrupt? Do not rent a car!

Cancun police is no different from corrupted Boston police. A majority of Boston cops are standing around construction sites causing traffic and doing practically nothing useful. And we pay them through legalized extortion union laws to stand around for a Mickey Mouse job that any flagman can do for 1/4 the cost. They make their money one way or another.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
97 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why is Cancun Police Corrupt? Do not rent a car!

BVG_steve, the cops don't pull you over for no reason? Oh give me a break!

How naive and ignorant.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,498 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why is Cancun Police Corrupt? Do not rent a car!

BVG_Steve

I looked at it different way than you do. If the demand will be low, they either shape up or close down their rental business. And I doubt most rental companies like what is going on in Cancun area. Your logic just does not make sense.

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Why is Cancun Police Corrupt? Do not rent a car!

my logic is no doubt in my mind they pulled beepac over in teh 40KM zone where it changes from 70 to 40 and he makes it cound like he did nothing wrong, he was probably speeding and should pay the price. if he was in Boston he would have gotten a $125 ticket and 2 points, he should be happy it is so simple in Cancun

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,498 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why is Cancun Police Corrupt? Do not rent a car!

Boston must be cheap. In NY you would pay more like $500, and probably have a date in court. O, and don't forget insurance would go up most likely about 40%.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why is Cancun Police Corrupt? Do not rent a car!

corruption is common in mexico from the police to courts, always has been and probably will be for a long time to come. its how you augment the paltry salaries they are paid.