We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tropical fruits in Cancun?

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
tropical fruits in Cancun?

Any tropical fruits in season now? Are there mangosteen, jackfuit, or durian in Cancun?

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tropical fruits in Cancun?

I have never heard of any of the ones you mention. Cultivation is not big on the Yucatan peninsula--especially not legal products. Some oranges, tomatoes and papayas are grown locally but most things come in from other parts of Mexico or through the southern borders.

Texas
Level Contributor
213 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tropical fruits in Cancun?

We were there end of Sept, beginning Oct. We were somewhat surprised to find that the fruits were not good - not even as good as we get in our local small-town grocery store. They did have some of the rarer fruits (like prickly-pear, for instance) but the standards (pineapple, mango, canteloupe, etc.) were just not sweet as expected.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tropical fruits in Cancun?

With our globalized world, your corner market in Texas probably has a better variety and quality of fruits and vegetables than can be found locally in countries like Mexico where crop growing methods, techniques and products have not kept pace with the developed countries genetic mutations, agro-business and chemical advances.

It's all a toss up, isn't it? Want a sweet, large, beautiful fresh strawberry in winter? Gotta go with chemicals, fertilizers, genetic mutations and artificial processing and preservation.

Want a strawberry grown on a small farm in a developing (or developed) country? You will probably have to sacrifice taste, size and aesthetics.

iowa
Level Contributor
373 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tropical fruits in Cancun?

I have never heard of mangosteen, jackfruit, or durian either! What the heck are those??

We usually go to Cancun in March. The fruit is usually really good! That is one thing we look forward to! Coming from Iowa...our fruit selection is very poor in the winter, so Cancun fruit in March is a big treat!! Love the fresh pineapple/honeydew/cantalope...even though it may not be from Mexico...it's good!

So what fruit is actually grown in Mexico...you have me wondering. Probably strawberries...but what else??

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tropical fruits in Cancun?

I found most of these fruits in Jamaica so I was hoping to find them in Cancun too.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tropical fruits in Cancun?

I know they grow jackfruit in Mexico for export to the USA, but maybe Mexican aren't into them.

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
606 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tropical fruits in Cancun?

When we were there in mid October, I ate a lot of mango, cantaloupe (w/prosciutto) and pineapple. They all were very sweet. We stayed in an all inclusive and maybe they have their fruit shipped in from somewhere outside of Cancun. We never checked out the fruit in outside markets.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
858 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tropical fruits in Cancun?

we were at ERC in mid September and I have to say they probably had the sweetest & freshest cantelope I have ever tasted. We did not touch anything in our fruit basket. Oh the strawberries they used for the chocolate dipped ones were very ripe and juicy too.

Interesting named fruits, will google them one day to see before our next trip.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
288 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tropical fruits in Cancun?

Most the tropical fruits are grown in what is known as "el sureste" Veracruz, Oaxaca, Tabasco, Campeche, etc. You will find mangoes, pineapple, oranges, papayas, watermelon, canteloupe, tangerines, (got one of those in my yard and I'm in central Mexico!), lemons which in the states you know as limes, limes which in the states you know as lemons, guavas, and the ones I don't know in English, chico zapote, guanabana, mamey and many, many others. Strawberries are mostly from the region where I live know as the bajío. You can get fruits all year round for the most part, but there are definitely months when they taste better. Drring the winter tangerines and oranges are very sweet as are pineapples. The one fruit I know for a fact is usually imported are apples, from where else, WA state.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tropical fruits in Cancun?

This isn't a fruit, but you'll find it sliced with fruit all over...Jicama. It's wonderfully crunchy. I think it's really some kind of root. Jicama salad is great!