We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of living in Cancun

London
9 posts
Save Topic
Cost of living in Cancun

Myself and a friend are travelling to Cancun for the first time in Jan 2006. I was wondering what the cost of things like beer, clubs, restuarants, taxi's etc is likely to be? I basically want to know whether this is an expensive city. Any information would be much appreciated.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
776 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of living in Cancun

Yes it is expensive, they really gouge the tourist's in Cancun, I never went shopping as the prices were crazy, you can find better prices at home, the buses were cheap, and there is a walmart for savvy shopping, Don't know about drinks as all the drinks at the hotel were included in the price. Taxi's were expensive, tour's were expensive, also if you do not see a price on an item, do not buy it, alot of shopkeepers are out to rip off the tourist, which is a shame, I know the country is not rich, but hey I work hard everyday and save alot of money up for my trips and its all hard earned cash, and I do not like it when anyone trys to rip me off. Sunscreen, camera's and anything like that, bring from home, they are also more expensive in Cancun.

Washington DC Metro
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of living in Cancun

I totally disagree with sal999... I'm was supposed to be in Cancun today for the third time... however because o Hurricane Emily I had to reschedule it for August 5..(kudos to the locals for getting the place up and running).. anyways.. back to sal999's comments.. . I live around Washington DC.. I don't ever remember going into the museum areas and paying regular prices when buying a camera or film there!!! Places where tourism is a part of the economy will always charge a bit more then "going to your local" market... it's all about the basics of economics: SUPPLY AND DEMAND... The locals there are very friendly, helpful and I guarantee you will have a great time.. as for the expenses... transportation is very cheap.. you can get a bus that goes back and forth the hotel areas for about 65cents/trip.. and that includes the entertainment by local musicians.. hehehe :) .. As for food/drinks, I recommend you get an all Inclusive package... you can get good food for decent price outside of your resort.. but overall just not having to pay for food everytime you want a snack or a beer (and even some great drinks) is a good thing.. :) ..

I hope this helps... best of luck and have a great time..

Cheers..

NJ
Level Contributor
153 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of living in Cancun

I went to La Isla Mall in Mexico which seems to be very upscale in some areas...Cartier, Nine West...my sister works for Nine West (shoe company) and the prices in Mexico were outrageous! At least $30 USD more expensive there than here. However, when souvenier shopping the prices were just the same as shopping anywhere else in the world when on vacation...how much would you pay for a double shot shotglass? $4 USD? Good b/c that's what you'll pay there. It all depends on where you go. They don't seem to be any more expensive than any other tourist place. To travel 6 miles by taxi to the mall was 90 Pesos. ($9 USD when I was there). I don't think that's TOO horrendous...then again I was on vaca and didn't mind spending money!!

Cancun, MX
Level Contributor
281 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of living in Cancun

The prices on everything are higher in the Hotel Zone than they are on the mainland.

If you want to buy souvenirs you'll find much cheaper prices at Mercado 28 in town than you will out in the Zone. The rent at Coral Negro, which is the craft market in the Zone, is outrageous, I think it's over $2000 usd per month for a small stall. So the vendors there need to charge a lot. In Mercado 28 the prices are a lot lower. And if you don't like a price offer less. I routinely offer as little as 1/3 of what they ask and sometimes they take it. One of the good things about bargaining is that you often end up paying what you think is a fair price. Just show them that you will leave if they don't meet your price.

There are some decent restaurants in the city on Yaxchilan Ave. Many of them have reasonable prices. One of my favs is La Taberna, they have decent food and nice beers on tap. And the prices are good.

HTH

London
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of living in Cancun

Thanks - I plan to do an all inclusive but just wondered what prices were like outside the complex. I'll bear your comments in mind and bring a little more spending money than i originally planned.

Williamsburg, VA
Level Contributor
352 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of living in Cancun

Diamond Fella, Stay at the a.i. if possible. Cancun is the Beverly Hills of Mexico and everthing is pricey. I am trying to figure out why people go out on town and dump big$ at clubs when they are staying at an all inclusive. I like fun (ALOT) but there is always someone to have fun with at the resort.

San Juan, Puerto...
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of living in Cancun

I live in Puerto Rico and I found the prices at Cancun VERY REASONABLE...I guess it depends on what you are used to. In Puerto Rico, everything is very expensive. I went to La Isla Shopping Center which they said was very upscale, and bought two suits, a blazer, a dress and a sweater as Zara for 143.00 USDs. That is a fraction of what these items would cost me in Puerto Rico. The bus ride is cheap and even all of the items one would normally buy, are cheaper or at a part in Puerto Rico. Granted, Puerto Rico is expensive, but if you are going to an all inclusive as you said, do not worry. Everything in Cancun can be bargained and have fun!

walnut creek, CA
Level Contributor
70 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost of living in Cancun

I'm from San Francisco, prices are same as US... most of dinners at chains like Sr. Frogs, Pat O'Briens etc are $14-$20, drinks are about $6 or more if you get large... but whatever...it's fun....alot of the chain restaurants are totally entertaining and you spend a longer time insides so you have to add that in. drinks and dinner for 4 (2 adults/2 kids) is about $125 before tipping (of course depends how much you drink too!) taxis were strange, from airport to Cancun hotel FAGCB $20-- but then a short little 5 minute ride would be $8...they don't have meters like US.... Beers are usually $3 a bottle, lots of taco places have 2 for 1... you can get breakfast in taco places for like $4-$5.

London
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost of living in Cancun

Thanks - Some yery helpful comments. What is it about the the that makes it so highly rated? Anybody know the website address for this hotel?

Fort Drum, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cost of living in Cancun

Fella - If your going all inclusive, and plan on going out at night, two tours or so, shopping (souvenirs, local stuff) and extras, like tip, bus blah blah blah... bring about 500-600 pounds. That's if your spending normal. My bf went with $250 CAD and got by... although he only went out to two clubs and bought me a bracelet... so its not really realistic, lol.

Cancun is more expensive than anywhere else down south (or in the upper range) - but still cheap compared to our 'society'.

Think of how much you will spend (look up prices for tours and such, clubs are 25-30 USD ea) then add another quater or half of that - bcuz once you get there you just can't control youself! You can also bring how much cash you need plus a credit card.