We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort staff salaries?

Canada
Level Contributor
184 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Resort staff salaries?

Ola!

Just returned from our 5th stay at RPLA - it was better than ever!!!

We notice more and more all the staff seem to work very long hours. We're curious what's the average salary of Mexican hotel staff (not including tips). What would the waiters, entertainment staff, front desk staff earn???

We always tip the staff hoping it will help them out.

Thanks!

Jay.

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,803 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort staff salaries?

Estimating...approximately the equivalent of $4.00-$10.00 per day US, excluding tips, depending on position, which are usually pooled and shared for non management positions, which may exclude front desk personnel.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
3,272 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort staff salaries?

Dangers, we talked to several employees at Moon who said they also have medical, retirement and never got laid off during the hurricane even with several of their resorts closed.

They never discussed salary but all said they loved working for Palace because of the benifits and that they did everything they could do to keep them all employed after the hurricane.

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,803 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort staff salaries?

I probably should also note from past discussions with locals and hotel staff over the years, it isn't uncommon for management types to get a cut of the shared tip pools at some resorts.

As to the benefits, there's some mandatory benefits under law that are required and depending on union and/or resort, I'm sure their may be various additions or subtractions in benefits.

Regarding the Palace Resorts, I'd find it difficult to believe that the entire Palace Resorts staff was carried at full pay from the period between Hurricane Wilma and "all" the hotels re-openings/ rebuilds/ renovations. "If" the Palace Resorts did so, a tip of the hat to them for leadership in this area.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
3,272 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resort staff salaries?

The reception staff told us they helped clean, paint,garden anything to keep people working and to reopen as soon as they could.

Several employees told us the same things.

I hope it was true and I will say that after 9 visits to several Palace resorts we rarely come across an unhappy employee, they all seem to be happy to work there.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resort staff salaries?

I don't think you can actually just "lay off" people for a few months in Mexico (nor could you in Europe). You'd have to fire them and then re-hire them but to fire them you would have to pay them several months wages as severance pay so it was probably cheaper to keep them on the payroll.

Dangers was pretty close with his estimates but the minimum wage is actually 5 USD a day which is what most waiters will earn. This is based on a 6 day working week and they get paid for Sunday even if they don't work. If they DO work on Sunday (and have a weekday off instead) then they get double pay for that day.

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,803 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Resort staff salaries?

The reason I doubt the "Palace Resorts" deal is that a few of the resorts weren't shut down for months but years.

To my knowledge, many of the Cancun resorts, especially those with lesser damages from the hurricane, kept many employees on at partial wages,hours, benefits, etc., in an attempt to maintain their staffs.

Canada
Level Contributor
184 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Resort staff salaries?

Thanks everyone, finding this interesting!

columbus ohio
Level Contributor
5,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Resort staff salaries?

I think I read that the minimum wage in Quintana Roo......where Cancun is........is now $4.60 per day. Some resorts pay above this, but not by much

In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,803 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Resort staff salaries?

The minimum wage for most unskilled workers in Quintana Roo is $49.50 Pesos per day for 2008, or the approximate equivalent of Elmo's US $4.60 per day given the exchange rate.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,116 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Resort staff salaries?

And when low season hits or a hurricane, The hotel owners cut staff to 1/2 pay and cut hours...so tip the maids, they clean 10-15 rooms a day for around 8 bucks USD...