We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy groceries?

Iowa
Level Contributor
3,341 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Where to buy groceries?

Wondering what everyone's favorite place to get groceries in Cancun is?

I've been to Chedraui and Commercial Mexicana. Tend to think Commercial Mexicana is a little cheaper???I've never been to the Cancun Wal-Mart so may be for trying that if others recommend. Looking for best value, selection, and also for recommendations of favorite Mexican snacks, food, brands.

Waverly, Iowa
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy groceries?

We also tend to make a Wal-Mart trip for snacks and things early in our vacation. Gotta have those goodies.

Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy groceries?

There are actually two Wal-Marts there in Cancun - both are very nice and exactly like the ones here in the US. There were some differences in groceries, such as the huge bakery that featured many mexican style pastries and milk that was packaged in giant "juice box" type containers and not refrigerated. There was plenty of the refrigerated kind too, but it was fun to see the differences. There were lots of other Mexican specialties that were offered as well as the good ole' American staples. The fruit there was fantastic!

Bon apetit!

Kermit, WV
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy groceries?

Anyone know if any smaller grocery stores are close to The Solymar Resort in the Hotel Zone?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,058 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy groceries?

I try to avoid Walmart in Mexico and spend my money with the Mexican owned stores such as Chedraui, Commercial Mexicana or Soriana, for example. All have good bakeries, and to me , a much more Mexican experience than a Walmart box store.

BSQ
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to buy groceries?

This past trip I finally set foot in Wal-Mart. I've avoided it all these years simply because I avoid them in the US too. They way folks flock to it was expecting some sory of grocery store nirvana. It's a Wal-Mart. Pretty much sums it up for me.

I did like the produce and fish counters, but can't say that I paid much attention to prices on anything. We usually pick up supplies at Chedraui or San Francisco.

Favorite "Mexican Snack" ummmm pepitas I guess. Otherwise we buy the same ol snacks we buy at home, just the label is different.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,058 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to buy groceries?

I agree, BSQ, a Walmart is a Walmart. I also avoid them in the US. As for prices, I find them more expensive than US prices and, at best, competitive with the Mexican stores.

Iowa
Level Contributor
3,341 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to buy groceries?

The Wal-mart in Cancun is a super-WalMart then? Meaning they have a full grocery store including a full line of produce and meats? I've avoided buying steaks and hamburger in the past while in Mexico, but would like to try some fresh fish. Any suggestions?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to buy groceries?

Commercial Mexicana.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,851 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to buy groceries?

Chedraui at Plaza de las Americas. Combine shopping with shopping.....*smile*

Cheryl

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to buy groceries?

The last place I would go to to buy fish is a grocery store, I buy fish either from Mercado 23 or directly from a Coperativa, rarely do I see fish that is fresh at the Supers.