We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the closest US City by Air Direct Flight from Cancun

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Topic
What is the closest US City by Air Direct Flight from Cancun

If I had to fly out of Cancun on short notice and get back to the US fairly quickly...what would be the closest us city, with the quickest direct flying time...or What city or airline has the most frequent direct flights out of Cancun.

I will be there in June while 28 weeks pregnant and I am just thinking of worst case scenario here..(I know I must sound like a lunatic) but you can never be to prepared...please don't bash me I plan on taking this trip only if pregnancy from here on in is smooth sailing (like my previous two ) and with drs okay...(obviously booked b4 I knew I was pregnant)Note: Staying at JW Marriott family reunion type trip

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the closest US City by Air Direct Flight from Cancun

We had to have an emergency plan set also. We were flying USA3000 and I needed to know all of my options so I went to the cancun airport website and searched all the flights of all carriers to see the times and where they landed. Many went to Dallas and Charolette and I knew we could connect from there. It is a bit of a hassle to do on your own but we don't use travel agents. If you did, have them do the leg work for you. Have fun and make sure you get up and walk the aisles a bit so you lessen the chance of a clot formation.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the closest US City by Air Direct Flight from Cancun

American Airlines has around 6 direct flights a day to Miami from Cancun (1 hr 35 mins).

Northeast
Level Contributor
806 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the closest US City by Air Direct Flight from Cancun

Miami or houston I would say

Va
Level Contributor
10,523 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the closest US City by Air Direct Flight from Cancun

Continental flies to Huston or American flies to Dallas and Miami. Spirit flies to Ft Lauderdale. Florida would be the quickest flights, but not by much.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the closest US City by Air Direct Flight from Cancun

Oh Thank you all so much. It is very reassuring nowing that Miami is only an 1hour 35minute flight away! (Now I will have to check out who has the best NICU Miami or Houston :)

I am really looking forward to this trip and this 3rd baby so I hope all goes smoothly. :)

Thanks again for your responses. I am sure you will see a lot more neurotic posts from me in the next 6 months... : )

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,541 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the closest US City by Air Direct Flight from Cancun

I would also research hospitals in Mexico and find out which one has the best care for obstetrics.

It will be tough to fake not having a problem in order to get on a plane. They won't let you fly if you are in labor or look sick/like you are having problems.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the closest US City by Air Direct Flight from Cancun

Yeah the hospitals in Cancun will probably be my next post...Thanks I know right...you can never be to prepared.

My last pregnancy I traveled to Puerto Rico at 22weeks and did Disney at 30weeks with no problems but like I said you never know...so I'd like to take every precaution.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the closest US City by Air Direct Flight from Cancun

Wow, Disney at 30 weeks! You are amazing. I couldn't deal with the walking and heat that far along. I'm sure you know to drink more water while in Mexico even if you don't feel thirsty. Your doing your research and I bet all will be fine.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What is the closest US City by Air Direct Flight from Cancun

Thanks SLBH....I take it you didn't have to use your emergency plan? (please say you didn't) Were you pregnant as well?

Its funny because I don't use travel agents either..planning is half the fun right! And I thought the same thing I'll just have to log on to Cancun Aiport...seeing you write that made me not feel crazy - he he he

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is the closest US City by Air Direct Flight from Cancun

No, my grandma took a turn for the worse right before we left. She had been in a nursing home for some time and kept going downhill and then was fine so we had a huge dilemma at the last minute to go or not. We went and had a plan for getting back if need be. She didn't pass until later so we made the right decision. I have traveled while pregnant though My son decided to make an early arrival while we were vacationing in Virgina beach. I made everyone pack up and we drove the 10 hours home and it worked out fine. As long as you don't have a history of early labor I would still go. You may double check the airlines gestation policy though. I remember one airline wouldn't allow flight after 7mths.