We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Royal Resorts - Q&A, FAQs and Story Time

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
The Royal Resorts - Q&A, FAQs and Story Time

All right all you Royal Resorts Owners, Fans, Past and Future Guests; time to have our own little thread to discuss everything that’s Royal Resorts!

We hope this thread can be a bit of a one stop shopping place for all the info you need to know about the Royals! Tips that we’ve learned over the years, the resort amenities, things to do that are free, restaurants, when Happy Hour starts, can you drink the water from the tap in your villa … all the little things you could ever imagine.

Owners please remember … no advertising your villa … we don’t want to get the hook by TA!

I’ll start with the Obvious Question, The Royal Who?

The Royal Resorts. There are 5 resorts in Cancun and one in Playa Del Carmen that make up the Royal Resorts. They are (listed from newest to oldest):

Royal Sands

Royal Islander

Royal Caribbean

Royal Mayan

Club International Cancun/Vacation Clubs International

The Royal Haciendas is located in Playa del Carmen.

The Islander, Caribbean and Mayan are also commonly referred to as the “tri-Royals”. They sit side by side and are linked by walk ways.

enjoy!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,803 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Royal Resorts - Q&A, FAQs and Story Time

Let's see.....One of my favorite things about the Royal Resorts is the fact that they have a great shuttle bus service that connects the resorts! It makes life so easy to take advantage of the amenities and activities at each resort when you just have to hop the shuttle to another resort.

For example, heading down to Hacienda Sisal for the floorshow and Mexican buffet the shuttle bus drops you off at the door of the restaurant and picks you up there right after it's over! How much more convenient can you get?

Heading to the Spa at the Royal Sands? The shuttle drops you off adjacent to that door, too. The shuttles are air conditioned, comfortable and the drivers are always very nice and friendly. Tips are welcome but not expected.

Cheryl

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,803 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Royal Resorts - Q&A, FAQs and Story Time

I appended this to another thread but it's more appropriate here....

One thing that isn't mentioned often enough is the book of activities and information handed out on check in and the personal concierge and the invitations to events they carry.

I think many people assume that accepting any invitation will be an invitation to be cornered to be sold a timeshare. That is not the case. Your personal concierge is actually there to help you and make your visit enjoyable. Don't hesitate to accept the gift they give you and the invitations to events. The first one - the Welcome Party - is a blast. It's free drinks and games. Prizes (usually t-shirts, bags, etc) are awarded. It's a great chance to meet other people visiting for the same week. The Orientation meeting is just that. It truly is an orientation meeting with information from the activity staff about activities and events happening that week, information on restaurants, shuttle service, shopping, etc. Anything going on around town will be discussed and questions can be asked. The Thomas More people will also discuss tours and answer questions at this time, too. The Taco Party is just a chance to chat with people and enjoy some excellent food.

If someone is interested in considering a timeshare, ask and someone will talk to you. Otherwise, if asked, just a simple not interested will suffice.

Anyone else with tips?

Cheryl

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,803 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Royal Resorts - Q&A, FAQs and Story Time

One point that clears up confusion.....when you click on the Royal Sands at #1 in the TA ratings you see lots of sites wishing to rent you units. When you put in your dates, no availability comes up. Also, where in the world did they come up with that cost per night?

Answer......the Royal Resorts are not hotels. They are timeshare villas. They are not available through standard hotel rental websites. They are available through other sites that owners use as well as through the resort directly for both purchase and rental. Currently the only villas for sale in Cancun are resales but the Royal Haciendas in Playa del Carmen are available for first time purchases.

So.....where do you rent a villa? Rentals are Saturday to Saturday and they are fixed week, fixed unit. Owners have purchased a specific resort, specific villa and specific week. That is what they are offering.

My favorite sites for rental are:

omcancun.com (the Owner's Manual)

tug2.net (Timeshare User's Group)

mexicondo.com

royalrentalsbyearl.com

mytimesharevacations.com

vrbo.com

redweek.com

mexonline.com/royalclubvacattions

RoyalResorts.com (if and only if they are running a special)

The rentals through the Royals directly and Royal Club Vacations seem to be the most expensive option unless they are running a special.

Anyone else?

Cheryl

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Royal Resorts - Q&A, FAQs and Story Time

Cheryl, that's an excellent point about the invitations! I avoided my Host and his assistant like the plague my first few years of visiting.

I remember last year (or the year before) people commenting that they didn't want to go to the Taco Party because they thought it would just be a sales pitch. Our Host greeted us when we got there, and we didn't see her for the rest of the party. : ) that's a shame since the Tacos are pretty darn tasty!!

FORT WORTH, TX
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The Royal Resorts - Q&A, FAQs and Story Time

BSQ, I hope that I am asking questions on the correct thread. I was looking at the virtual reality tours of the TriRoyals on the Royal website and it doesn't appear that any of the TriRoyals have murphy beds, just couches and I am assuming that they are pull out couches. It that correct.....no murphy beds.... or are the photos out dated?

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Royal Resorts - Q&A, FAQs and Story Time

eww I just checked the virtual tours. Yup, those are old photos. Where the TV is, is nos a really nice entertainment center that takes up the whole wall. Those have the Murphybed pull downs in them.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,803 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Royal Resorts - Q&A, FAQs and Story Time

BSQ is right. The tri-Royals all have the entertainment center with very nice Murphy beds with excellent mattresses. Very comfortable for adults, frankly. We were just there last week (Royal Mayan) and had 6 adults in our villa. No one complained. Also, the tv's have been upgraded and are very nice. There is also a DVD player in each villa now and the Activity Center rents DVD's for overnight watching. They have lots of new releases to choose from. We rented 2 for the night Hurricane Dean hit and watched them while drinking cervezas. Great way to spend a hurricane. After sleeping through the brunt of the storm we awoke to find the wind blowing and people already out on the sundeck watching the waves and a message on our answering machine that the Tradewinds restaurant had already opened for breakfast and the store at the Caribbean was open, too.

Cheryl

Washington DC
Level Contributor
123 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Royal Resorts - Q&A, FAQs and Story Time

OK, I'll add my 20 centavos to this thread.

I started trading into the Royals in the early 90's. Stayed at all the different properties. Finally bought at the Caribbean in '98. Traded up to a villa in Phase II of the Sands during construction.

We LOVE the Royal resorts. We typically go in late September for my wife's birthday, now taking the 2 young children (3 & 5) and my parents (in their 70's). My 5 y.o. refers to The Sands as "our beach in Mexico".

The properties are all beautiful and well maintained, but for me it is all about the service. From the moment I arrive, I'm made to feel welcome by someone who calls me by name, then offers to do whatever they can to make my stay enjoyable. And they have always delivered.

Two years ago, my wife had a serious health problem. She managed to get well enough to travel to Cancun, but still required some special care while staying at The Sands. The staff went above and beyond to make sure we had everything we needed to keep her safe and comfortable (she's better now, thanks).

One of my favorite things has been releasing the baby sea turtles each Fall. One year at one of the tri-Royals, we had a beach front, ground level villa. I was up late and went out to the top of the sea wall. When I looked down to the dimly lit beach, it seemed to move! It WAS moving! Hundreds of baby turtles had hatched and were trying to get out of the fenced nesting area at the base of the wall. I found a security guard who radioed the front desk for help and with a few minutes we were counting and releasing the newly hatch turtles. Other years we've participated in the scheduled releases but it's always fun. Check with your concierge for release days and times.

This year we will arrive at The Sands ON my wife's birthday. I'd like to do or have something special for her when we arrive. Any thoughts or suggestions? Any staff from the Royals lurking out there and reading this thread? It doesn't have to be much, just something to make a memory…

See you on September 22.

DCMatt

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,803 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Royal Resorts - Q&A, FAQs and Story Time

How about using that service on the Royal Resorts website (shopping) where you can send flowers to your villa? You could order a nice bottle of wine through the mini market and flowers and have them waiting for her arrival in the villa. That, or....schedule a wonderful couples massage at the Spa for that evening.....

or check Cayo Largo and see if they have the live piano player that evening for dinner. If they do they could do a special song for you.....

Cheryl

Washington DC
Level Contributor
123 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Royal Resorts - Q&A, FAQs and Story Time

All great ideas, Cheryl!

I sent email to the special events folks at the Royal Resorts via the website. The auto-message said they'll respond within 24 hours. Let's see what they come up with. I'll keep you posted.

DCMatt