We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dental Filling before flying...

Northwest, England
Level Contributor
408 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Dental Filling before flying...

This may be a myth but I have read somewhere that if you have had a recent dental filling, it can cause toothache when flying. I am due to have a filling a week before i go, should I re-schedule for after I get back??

This probably sounds really petty but toothache is really annoying and I don't want it on holiday!! :)

Northwest, England
Level Contributor
408 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dental Filling before flying...

Just remembered it was in my Thomas Cook (Travel Agent) holiday information when we picked our plane tickets up (Yey!)

somewhere
Level Contributor
257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dental Filling before flying...

I'm having a filling repaired tomorrow so would like to know this as well as we are leaving next Monday!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
897 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dental Filling before flying...

Speaking from experience.....we went on holiday this past May and two days before we were to fly out I came down with a horrible toothache so I scheduled an appointment with my dentist and it turns out that I had to have an emergency root canal...TWO DAYS before holiday!! I got it done that very afternoon and flew out two days later temp filling and all. I didn't have any troubles with it. I would suggest taking some Motrin with you, that is what I was told to do by my dentist in case there was any discomfort or toothache. Never needed it.

Believe me you will be so excited about holiday and your adrenaline will be pumping so much you won't really think about it. At least that is what happened with me.

Turns out that we had a fantastic holiday!!

Hope that helps.

Turtle

somewhere
Level Contributor
257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dental Filling before flying...

Thanks Turtle! Glad your vacation was great!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dental Filling before flying...

If you have a big filling just make sure the dentist put put some Dycal or glass ionomer base. Even then the tooth may still hurt if the cavity is already too big. Then you'll eventually need a root canal. Even then, the perfectly-done rooth canal can still cause pain whether you fly or not! Also if you decide to do white filling in the back teeth, these things are extremely technique-sensitive; if not not perfectly can lead to senisitivity whether you fly or not.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dental Filling before flying...

hev86, that's a myth. Don't worry, you'll be fine. I've had 19 root canals (w/crowns) and a bridge....most of it done before trips. A little filling won't bother you at all while flying.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dental Filling before flying...

19 root canals, candylady!! Your name says it all!

You make me laugh. I am a candy fanatic. I "only" have one root canal (that I dont think took all the way). And yes- white fillings make your teeth more sensitive but I have never heard that about flying.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dental Filling before flying...

roxiian....ha. I never thought of my TA name and my root canals like that...lol. But I have to say, I've supported my local dentist most of my life! Did get my TA name from candy (in a way) though...

Northwest, England
Level Contributor
408 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dental Filling before flying...

I think I will re-schedule until after I come back, I am just a big wuss really!!

Northwest, England
Level Contributor
408 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dental Filling before flying...

Don't like the dentist anyway so any excuse!!...