We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe place to wait while solo?

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
288 posts
8 reviews
Safe place to wait while solo?

My flight arrives 9 hours prior to my husband. (Hes working in another city, and im meeting him there)

Originally I had planned to carry on to Isla, and meet him at the pier once he arrives. However, I'm felling a bit nervous to spend 10-12 hours alone, while carting my belongings. So...thinking maybe I should consider some place close to the airport? Then I could shower, eat, swim etc all day. Paying for a daypass is no issue:). We cant change flights without shelling out hundreds of dollars, which is a waste.

Can anyone recommend a spot?

Thank you.

10 replies to this topic
Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
8,458 posts
134 reviews
1. Re: Safe place to wait while solo?

Mamasmurf99,

Personally with 9 hours to pass, I'd go on to my hotel on Isla, check-in, and leave my luggage in my room. That way you can meet your spouse (unencumbered) once he arrives on Isla ~ 9 hours later.

To keep costs lower I'd also take a shared shuttle to the Isla Mujeres ferry terminal. As you walk out of Mexican Customs you will be approached by many offering rides. The 8th question down under Top Questions about Cancun (to the immediate upper-right of this page) is Private/public ground transfer options. Search for the shared shuttle info to the Ferry terminal. Hope this helps, safe travels.

¡Diviértanse!

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
24 posts
2. Re: Safe place to wait while solo?

Hotels that are close to the airport are Courtyard Marriot and Comfort Inn. They are literally 10min from the airport. Call them and ask for their rates and ask if they have free airport transportation.

Edited: 14 November 2018, 08:15
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
288 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Safe place to wait while solo?

Thank you both. I was looking at the airport hotels and the Westin. I know I will be tired after my red eye flight...so a nap would be nice. What Im worried about is being alone on the ferry then getting to our hotel, and fending for myself all day.

Ive already booked r/t transfers, but that is easily changed.

This is my 15th trip to the area, and Im rarely nervous traveling solo, but lately there's a feeling of dread about this one.

Edited: 14 November 2018, 08:26
In a Little Cafe...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
10,942 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Safe place to wait while solo?

I was going to suggest the Costa by Playa Linda at one of the Hotel Zone ferry terminals for a day pass but 10-12 hours is a long wait. The Courtyard Marriott would seem to be one of the better options even if you had to pay the full night rate which are usually reasonable and they do have airport shuttle service, so given the wait, I'll share Dan C's opinion on this one. ;-)

Illinois
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
91 reviews
5. Re: Safe place to wait while solo?

I’ve traveled to Isla many times sola. I would head to Isla and hang out there. Drop bags at hotel, check in if possible. If not, get a beach bed or lounger, eat and nap and swim until hubby arrives.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
8,458 posts
134 reviews
6. Re: Safe place to wait while solo?

You got that right jetskigirl, in spades!!

¡Diviértanse!

DeForest, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
162 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: Safe place to wait while solo?

Go to the hotel with your knowledge of the area. You will immediately unwind with a sea breeze and cold drink in hand.

Enjoy!

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
59 reviews
8. Re: Safe place to wait while solo?

I would just go to the hotel...unpack, have a cocktail, figure out the layout of the hotel, etc. Be sure your name is on the hotel reservation.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
30,712 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Safe place to wait while solo?

You may have to pay for two nights at the Courtyard. Go to Isla Mujeres.

Southern California
Level Contributor
15,591 posts
1 review
10. Re: Safe place to wait while solo?

I agree, head to Isla Mujeres, have traveled there solo before, you have your transfers and there will be many others on the ferry, so you would in no way be isolated. Plus there is no beach near the airport or the Courtyard.

Reply to: Safe place to wait while solo?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted