We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip Cancun to Playa Del Carmen

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
day trip Cancun to Playa Del Carmen

Is it worth doing a day trip on local bus from Cancun to Playa Del Carmen? If so where to go, what to see?

4 replies to this topic
San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: day trip Cancun to Playa Del Carmen

I personally don’t think so unless you’re going to Cozumel? Why not keep going further south to bacalar or Tulum ruins. Or even Coba.

Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
9,608 posts
2. Re: day trip Cancun to Playa Del Carmen

For comparison, it would be a bit like going to Surfer's.

At Playa del Carmen, one of the main avenues (5th Avenue) is pedestrian only, and it's about 2 km of shops, restaurants, bars, hotels, and the street is thick with tourists. There's some nice beach areas at Playa.

If you want to eat cheaply, get off 5th Avenue.

At the park diagonally opposite from the ADO bus terminal, the Flying Pole Dancers or Voladores perform every afternoon.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: day trip Cancun to Playa Del Carmen

Thanks. Something to think about and do some more research.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,536 posts
51 reviews
4. Re: day trip Cancun to Playa Del Carmen

I love going to 5th Ave. also 1 block over is the beach with plenty of beach bars and restaurants in the sand. Some people complain it’s to commercialized but I think only in the new parts that were built. Still plenty of small stores and restaurants that have the old Mexican feel. I totally think it’s worth going to so get a feel of Mexico and actually get to see and explore rather than stay only at a hotel all the time.

I hope you considered Isla of Mujeres also, that’s always a highlight for us. Have fun!!!

Reply to: day trip Cancun to Playa Del Carmen
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted