We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airlines cutting back on flights to Cancun

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Airlines cutting back on flights to Cancun

due to violence and travelers blacking out.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/business/Airline…

40 replies to this topic
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airlines cutting back on flights to Cancun

That same Milwaukee Journal report keeps popping up over and over. Where I am, United, Delta, and American all cut service on August 20t to just 1 flight a week. except American, they go to around 3-4 times a week. This is called the low season. It's been this way for the last 20+ years that I have been residing here. This is when everyone takes their annual holiday after a long and grouling season of work. The season will then pick up like it always does come December, when it's cold up north. Nothing has changed, it's the status quo that happens every year.

Edited: 08 August 2018, 04:01
Mentioned in this post
Milwaukee
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
30,076 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airlines cutting back on flights to Cancun

Plus the blackout reports are dubious at best and in my opinion just a way for one fake news rag to get back at a country where a local (Wisconsin) girl died...possibly as a result of excessive drinking.

If alcohol is a concern, take your own. Drink beer from the USA.

Stock u[p on airline sized alcohol...which is a good idea anyway.

Edited: 08 August 2018, 04:04
Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
6,759 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airlines cutting back on flights to Cancun

Airlines cutting back that's a joke. There's record numbers of people at the airport in Cancun and in the Riviera Maya this year.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airlines cutting back on flights to Cancun

Sorry, Cancun is run down and no longer safe. I have gone for 30 years and the last 10 years its spiraling down. Several people that have always been at Ritz Club Level when we went left due to slow business and not making tips.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airlines cutting back on flights to Cancun

The airport is in the process of building another passenger terminal to accommodate the traffic demand. So who to believe?

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
30,076 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airlines cutting back on flights to Cancun

"Sorry, Cancun is run down and no longer safe."

I doubt that the resorts are run down.

The possible cartel related violence is disturbing and ideally would be targeted by the government. If that violence is the result of tourists buying drugs then there is your problem.

I know a few people here seem to want to make Cancun out to be a sure death sentence but in my view, people are at higher risk of injury or death due to excessive alcohol consumption. Don't be a drunk.

Edited: 08 August 2018, 05:55
Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
740 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airlines cutting back on flights to Cancun

We get it Starfish, you hate Cancun. Yes, it's probably not the quiet, laid-back place you remember from the 80's.

Things change, places change.

Don't like the Ritz? Plenty of other hotels & resorts to try.

Don't like the crowds? Plenty of other places to travel to in the Caribbean.

Violence? Compared to South Florida I bet it's not even close.

As far as the airlines, they may have overcapacity on certain routes, therefore the flight reduction. They need to stay as close to 100% load factor as possible to maximize their profits.

Every post I have seen from you in the Cancun forum is a big downer. There is, however, an upside to the doom & gloom you're trying to spread - if it reduces demand for rooms, maybe average schmucks like myself can afford to go there more often!

Edited: 08 August 2018, 05:56
Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airlines cutting back on flights to Cancun

Well stated Bruce...

Edited: 08 August 2018, 06:02
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Airlines cutting back on flights to Cancun

Terminal 3 lost almost 30% of their enplanements and Terminal 2 lost more than that once T4 opened. I work for a restaurant group with locations in all 3 terminals and see their monthly sales reports. Terminal 3 is only at 70% of the operating volume it once was, and Terminal 2 was crushed when Southwest moved to T4. There is plenty of room for additional enplanements within those three terminals, but as some have mentioned, Terminal 2 is pretty old and busted.

That whole airport is a shell game between ASUR and Meracorp. If they are building a new terminal, it will likely replace Terminal 2, just like Terminal 4 ultimately replaced Terminal 1. Since land and labor are so cheap there, ASUR has the luxury of simply building a new terminal whereas most airports would have to incrementally remodel an existing and operating space. With that said, a new terminal is not necessarily a direct relation to flight traffic as it would be at most other locations.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
812 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airlines cutting back on flights to Cancun

Bruce F has the best post on this thread. Well said.

The notion that Cancun is run down and no longer safe is absolutely ridiculous. Airlines are not cutting back on their routes either. Guess some people can’t handle change.

Edited: 08 August 2018, 06:39
Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Reply to: Airlines cutting back on flights to Cancun
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted