We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tainted alcohol

Baltimore
Level Contributor
36 posts
7 reviews
Tainted alcohol

Haven’t heard much about it lately-is it under control? Worried about coming down Christmas time with my drinking age kids

11 replies to this topic
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
25,645 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Tainted alcohol

IMHO, this was a lot of hype about not much.

I'm not saying that "roofies" never happen or that there was absolutely no "tainted" booze but if it really had been the issue that some media reports would have you believe, you would have hundreds, if not thousands, of tourists coming home in body bags.

I think the combination of strong sun, dehydration and an open bar, have a lot more to do with ensuing memory loss and more tragic events than "tainted" alcohol - but that's just my opinion.

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
379 posts
46 reviews
2. Re: Tainted alcohol

I agree with Hola- there was never any actual proof of tainted alcohol...it was a theory floated by a newspaper in Wisconsin. While there is a chance that a bad bottle got mixed in or something, there are millions of tourists that visit without any issue at all so a handful of people over a few years doesn’t look like an issue to me.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
36 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Tainted alcohol

That’s what I’m hoping- however, a friend of mine, who isn’t much of a drinker, and has been to the Carribean, said she got sick and passed out from 1 drink. She wasn’t dehydrated and this has never happened to her before

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Tainted alcohol

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/business/Airline…

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
25,645 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: Tainted alcohol

"isn’t much of a drinker,"

Sometimes the drinks they pour are strong, VERY strong. I wouldn't say that I'm a heavy drinker but when I have a cocktail, I like a good amount of booze in it. Nonetheless, there has been more than one occasion in Mexico when I've had to ask for more mix in my drink as it was too strong, even for me. If a person isn't used to a strong drink, I can see that throwing up and passing out from a single drink could be possible - especially if it were a fruity-type of drink where the alcohol may not be easy to taste/discern.

If your friend was served alcohol from a bottle that was adulterated in some way, I would expect that everyone else who was served a drink from that same bottle to have had a similar reaction - i.e. getting sick and passing out. So that begs the question, did this just happen to your friend or did she observe/talk to others who experienced the same thing?

Is it possible that your friend's drink (as opposed to the entire bottle) was spiked in some way. Unfortunately, there are idiots out there who think it's fun to do this and watch what happens (or perhaps have more nefarious ideas in mind). Such "idiots" could be either a staff member or another guest. If this became a pattern at any resort, then my money would be on a staff member but I'd be equally sure that the resort would be on this like white on rice if there were any sort of pattern. Liability laws in Mexico may not be what they are in the US or Canada but drugged out and/or dead guests are not good for business, no matter how you slice it.

Is it possible that your friend contracted some sort of virus? Although that might explain the throwing up, it wouldn't necessarily cause passing it. Is it possible that your friend had sunstroke and/or heatstroke - it doesn't take much to cause vomiting?

So, in summary, I'm not ruling out the possibility of some funky booze or a spiked drink ... but there may be other logical explanations for your friend's experience. In the absence of an actual blood test showing whether or not she had anything in her system, I think this may fall into the category of "we'll never know for sure".

Hope your friend is ok now.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,847 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: Tainted alcohol

It's called "Rompe Higado" (breaking the liver) as the locals here call it. It's cheap liquor that is sold here legally for those that can't afford the good stuff, and it's horrible. Worse than bad moonshine. Shame on those AI's that want to cut back on money, and service pour that crap to the tourist. I haven't heard of anyone falling face down in their Dinner Plate because of their Margarita had a 1.50 dollar bottle of tequila being used as the main ingredient. Those restaurants would be out of business tonight, if they used that rot gut booze. But since, AI's don't charge for drinks as they are included, then there you go. I can see someone passing out after 1 drink of that cheap liquor if it's a strong enough pour. I've had it once, and never again.

Edited: 08 August 2018, 04:15
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
6,848 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Tainted alcohol

How it happens!!! I am living proof and survived a VERY CLOSE CALL!!!

I'm glad I did not die and I'm here to tell you about it. Yes it's still watered down but I have not had anything lately that has made me throw up blood. Couldn't really care less if it's watered down. At least we know it's just and you just need more of it to make your drink proper or taste good or right. As long as the methanol alcohol and the embalming fluid stays out of my body I'm good.

I'm not going to rehash what I've already said more than once anybody who wants can go back and read what I've said in the past.

In summary in my opinion it has gotten better. It had to because the alternative to it not getting better was going to turn Cancun into a ghost town. As some other issues very well could do as well.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
96 posts
8. Re: Tainted alcohol

There were several clandestine distilleries shut down that were using methanol as an ingredient, two were last February. I understand people's skepticism of the stories, but that methanol based tequila was obviously going to be consumed by someone. Hard to refute the claims completely. Article here:

https:/…

With that said, it seems like the bad press has made Mexico crack down on this practice. I haven't heard of any patterned scenarios or shutdowns since February.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
6,848 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: Tainted alcohol

Great link KDubs04

Scranton...
Level Contributor
72 posts
9 reviews
10. Re: Tainted alcohol

- Just seen this post on the Paradisus Cancun page from a guest review (Yaoob J) from 2 days ago...

Was just reading it because we are going to the Paradisus in November, and then caught the post here in the forum...

"We wanted an all inclusive because we expected to drink a lot. After my first scotch, I noticed something wrong. It wasn't real Johnnie Walker Black Label (which I adore). I tried a Jack Daniels on the rocks... Still not what I expected. After the first two days I stopped drinking completely because I knew the alcohol was tainted with water or something else. On this topic, my fiance can drink me under the table and after only three drinks the entire evening, she had to go to the room and vomit. She was vomiting for a good half hour before she blacked out and I had to carry her to the bed. I was dumping water down her throat all night trying to get her to drink. She couldn't even move and I was to the point of calling an un-trusted doctor until she broke through. The following day was lost. We stayed in the room all day as I took care of her. Making sure she drank a lot of water and pepto throughout the day. She told me she almost felt like dying. Recent reports of people blacking out in Cancun due to the same thing serviced yesterday as I type this, some even dying due to drugged or tainted drinks. Reading this made me sick to my stomach."

Hope this is not becoming a issue - anyone else hearing new recent reports again?

Reply to: Tainted alcohol
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted