We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we do the online immigration forms or scan passports?

Massachusetts, USA
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Should we do the online immigration forms or scan passports?

Haven't been to Cancun since 2014. Do they still hand out the cards on the plane or is it better to fill it out online? Do they have a place to scan passports at the airport instead?

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
8 replies to this topic
Caribbean
Level Contributor
8,516 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we do the online immigration forms or scan passports?

The forms are still handed out on the plane, but several forums members have reported that SOME flights either haven't have any forms, or not enough forms for all passengers.

Since the on-line forms are free, it might be a good idea to complete them at home and bring them with you. Then if you don't get the forms on the plane, you're prepared. The forms are also available inside Cancun airport.

The on-line FMM tourist card seems to be accepted in most instances now, but I still read about forum members reporting that their Customs form was not accepted (seems to depend on the Customs officer's familiarity with the form). If you get a Customs form on the plane, I'd fill it out and be prepared. Note: if you land at Terminal 4, the Customs form is no longer required (also no red/green light).

Cancun airport recently introduced biometric kiosks to scan passports, but I don't know if they're at all terminals (I heard they are at T3). Here's a recent media report about it...

https:/…2018.html

Massachusetts, USA
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we do the online immigration forms or scan passports?

Thank you....I am actually arriving at Terminal 3. I will skip the online customs card and just fill out the one from the plane.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,450 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we do the online immigration forms or scan passports?

Karen - you may wish to not Mister's advice "but several forums members have reported that SOME flights either haven't have any forms, or not enough forms for all passengers."

This has happened to me before (no forms on the flight at all) and it was a mad scramble at the end of the jetway where tables and forms had been set up. Fortunately, I knew enough to head downstairs and grab a form there but nonetheless, the situation was a bit of a mess.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
55 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we do the online immigration forms or scan passports?

HolaGata and MrB give you good advice. Our last four trips (on United/American AA) did not have forms on the plane. After our first time not receiving them on-board (which WAS usually the norm) the subsequent scramble for the forms & pens with carryon luggage in tow after debarking-we started printing them before we go. SO much easier, less stress & quicker to fill out before you leave home.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we do the online immigration forms or scan passports?

Regardless of the form situation, the online process is the way to go. Much faster when you get to the immigration officer. Paper is so last century! Ditto for the USA side - Global Entry is the way to go, or failing that, Mobile passport.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Mobile
Mobile
Alabama
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,450 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we do the online immigration forms or scan passports?

"Regardless of the form situation, the online process is the way to go. Much faster when you get to the immigration officer. Paper is so last century! "

???? Unless things have changed drastically, you still have to PRINT OUT the online form. When I used it on my last couple of trips to Mexico, it made absolutely no difference to how long it took the Immigration officer to "process" me. In fact, the first time took a bit longer as the officer had trouble tearing my paper version of the online form. (I use heavy (98lb) paper and with the humidity, it's tough to tear it.)

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Caribbean
Level Contributor
8,516 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we do the online immigration forms or scan passports?

Completing the FMM on-line still generates a paper form.

And a post from the Lonely Planet forum reported that the biometric method also generated a piece of paper.

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we do the online immigration forms or scan passports?

HolaGata,

That is why I grabbed 3 or 4 of the official (Mexican) government printed FMM forms the last time through MEX. Now I just complete the 'official form' a day or two before my trip, and I am good to go without any thoughts or issues with the paper not tearing well.

Then I slip the one they give me onboard into my carry-on to replenish my 'stock' for future trips. If for some reason they don't hand out any onboard, then I am sure to still grab 1 or 2 from the counter as I pass by, to again replenish my 'stock' for future trips.

I actually came up with this solution on a flight to MEX where they did not hand them out a few years back. So since I had to complete one along with everyone else standing in the Immigration line, I just grabbed a few extras (there were plenty there) and began my little stock pile. I even shared them with friends on a trip back in the summer of 2016, where we all completed them prior to the trip and they gave me the ones they received on-board!! Works well for me, on my 3 or 4 trips a year to somewhere in Mexico!!

¡Diviértanse!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Reply to: Should we do the online immigration forms or scan passports?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted