We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Murders/shootings may be impacting US tourism to the area

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
30,604 posts
2 reviews
Murders/shootings may be impacting US tourism to the area

Source: https:/…

"The Mexican government reported a sharp decline in U.S. visitors in April. Numbers arriving by air dropped 6.8% from the previous year to 845,000."

In another article they state: "One reason behind the decline in U.S. tourist numbers in April was something that Mexico had no control over: Holy Week fell in March this year.

Francisco Madrid, director of the faculty of tourism and gastronomy at Anáhuac University, highlighted that factor but also said that tourism growth among United States visitors had slowed during the entire first four months of the year."

Source: https:/…

Loma Bonita Cancun
Horseback Riding Tours
Queen Angel
Sightseeing Tours
Best Day
Sightseeing Tours
66 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
108 posts
1 review
1. Re: Murders/shootings may be impacting US tourism to the area

I believe it. This year is the lowest prices I can remember. 14 days for the price we usually pay for 10 days.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
2,728 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Murders/shootings may be impacting US tourism to the area

Well don't you think the sargassum will have an even bigger impact? The beaches are a mess and not just Cancun and Riviera Maya but about 15 Caribbean nations. It has been declared an environmental disaster. The low numbers have nothing to do with Holy Week, I don't think.

I bet the next set of numbers will be even lower. It sure is sad to see.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
6,864 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Murders/shootings may be impacting US tourism to the area

Good find an info!

Lol on pricing. Bring on the cheaper, the mkt.has been price fixed to HIGH for about 3 or4 yrs. For CUN of course

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
396 posts
46 reviews
4. Re: Murders/shootings may be impacting US tourism to the area

I agree with sunandsand...I’d bet the seaweed has more to do with the decline than violence.

Boston...
Level Contributor
191 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Murders/shootings may be impacting US tourism to the area

I’d be curious about a demographic breakdown. In other words, people who have previously visited the area vs those who are considering trips for the first time.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
30,604 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Murders/shootings may be impacting US tourism to the area

The data is for the first four months and April of 2018. I am not sure that sargassum was a huge issue for most of that period.

sig
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,598 posts
36 reviews
7. Re: Murders/shootings may be impacting US tourism to the area

I was saying this all along. The prices never been that low. Maybe after Sept 11th.

I just hope Rivera Maya does not end up like Acapulco.

Even though passenger traffic increased at Cancun airport, the real money comes from US tourists. If I am correct about 70% or more visitors from US arrive and spend money in Yucatan. They stay in the more expensive resorts and spend more money. I also think that besides violence the political climate is not helpful.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
2,728 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Murders/shootings may be impacting US tourism to the area

No, the sargassum was not bad then but going forward I believe it will have a huge impact on numbers. On the Sargasso Facebook page many travel agents are saying clients are cancelling or looking for other destinations and many are coming back very disappointed in their vacations because of the smell of the seaweed and not bring able to get into the water. Some of the photos are shocking lately.

As far as the violence, I think many are saddened and concerned by the upsurge in violence but they always say things like, " I'm from _______ and we have as many or more murders than that." Or, " Crime is everywhere. " or " We just got back and felt safe at all times," ( I even said that myself after our trip. )😉

So violence might deter some but this sargassum is going to be devastating to tourism, sadly. My opinion.

Edited: 04 August 2018, 06:11
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,892 posts
13 reviews
9. Re: Murders/shootings may be impacting US tourism to the area

Terminal 5 is being built in Cancun airport for the additional traffic as the numbers are way up from last year. You can listen to whatever news you hear. The reality is that this area is growing at such a rapid pace and is not what is was 20 years ago.

Edited: 04 August 2018, 09:21
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,527 posts
66 reviews
10. Re: Murders/shootings may be impacting US tourism to the area

US airlines plan on cutting back on capacity to leisure destination is Mexico due to softening demand. I think next spring's high season won't be as high as in years past. There will be decreases in frequencies and smaller aircraft. I agree the seaweed doesn't help, and is more of an issue for me to go other places in Mexico at this moment than in the Cancun/Riviera Maya area.

https:/…

CUN airport will have another record year for passenger traffic, but the OP mentions US tourism. Domestic tourism is up. There was an article a couple of weeks ago about tourism officials actively courting visitors from Colombia, Brazil, Argentina, and Chile in order to replace the decline in US tourists. Some of the biggest gains in tourist arrivals to CUN have been from these countries.

Just booked for January to CUN for $242 round trip all included on Southwest. At that rate once the taxes are taken out they are practically giving seats away. Though late January is not quite into the high season of February until Easter, you can bet demand is soft. I haven't decided to go in January yet. Fortunately with Southwest I can change to somewhere else without penalty.

Reply to: Murders/shootings may be impacting US tourism to the area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted