We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any suggestions on tour from Cancun to Isla Mujeres?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
12 reviews
Any suggestions on tour from Cancun to Isla Mujeres?

Two of us want to have a day trip to Isla Mujeres, and we checked some one-day sailing trip. Does anyone know what kind of tour company offer a good trip? We don't want to on a too crowded boat and cannot afford a private boat, so what's the option?

Thank you in advance!

Loma Bonita Cancun
Horseback Riding Tours
Queen Angel
Sightseeing Tours
Best Day
Sightseeing Tours
16 replies to this topic
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
105 posts
1. Re: Any suggestions on tour from Cancun to Isla Mujeres?

Take the Ultramar on your own and rent a golf cart for the day . Its the best way to experience the island in my opinion .

Kansas City, Kansas
1 post
2. Re: Any suggestions on tour from Cancun to Isla Mujeres?

It all depends on how you want to spend your time on Isla. The catamaran (boat) tours are very crowded, drunken, and usually drop you at one beach resort where you are stuck for the duration. We've gone every year from Cancun to Isla and watched catamarans full of tipsy sailors almost capsize and get herded onto a single beach. Not much fun IMHO!

Best option: take a cab to one of the ferry ports either in the hotel zone (Zona Hotelera) if that's where you're staying in Cancun, or to Gran Puerto (about a 20 minute drive on the mainland north of Zona - check out the different options on the website for UltraMar - they run the newest ferries (very comfortable and safe) and have the most flexible schedules.

When you get off the Ferry, you'll find a LOT of cabs just waiting - depending on how long you want to spend, you can negotiate with a driver to get you around the whole island.

Another option (which we use) is to rent a golf-cart (4 persons) for the day.

Another recommendation: (warning- unpaid and unsolicited endorsement) go to Mapchick.com and get their guide/maps for Isla Mujeres - they'll have all the info on how to go, what places/beaches to visit, etc.

Southern California
Level Contributor
15,332 posts
1 review
3. Re: Any suggestions on tour from Cancun to Isla Mujeres?

Take the ferry over yourself unless you enjoy traveling with the "Woot Woot" crowd.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Any suggestions on tour from Cancun to Isla Mujeres?

Thank you all three of you. It seems you all suggest to take ferry there instead of going for Catamaran tour, I saw the reviews about the crowded boat as well, which worried about me, that's why I was looking for a suggestion.

We will stay at Hotel Zone, so I think it's easy to get onto ferry.

Thanks again!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
50 reviews
5. Re: Any suggestions on tour from Cancun to Isla Mujeres?

I also suggest a Map Chick. I had been going years before I finally bought one and made my trip better. I found new hidden spots I would have never found. ( also not a paid endorser).

If can be a little unnerving your first adventure taking the ferry over on your own your first time not knowing what to expect . Please know this will absolutely be a highlight in your trip. Take taxi or bus to the ferry terminal. The ferry ride is only about 20 min ride. If you sit on top they have a guy playing music. They also have inside on the bottom if you prefer. When you get off the ferry walk directly across the street and all down the street are golf cart rentals. They are $35 to $45 per day. They will ask you to leave your drivers license and will return it when you bring the cart back. Try to get on the island and at the cart rental by 10 am. Busy season they can be hard to find after 10. They are due back at 5 pm. Make sure and ask what time the last ferry leaves. I have had mixed reports of them cracking down on drinking while on the cart. Some say they are getting aggressive with drinking on them but we have never experienced this. I don’t drink but my husband always has a beer with him on the cart and he even drank it in front of an officer last year. Not sure why mixed reports on this. We do go bar hoping but again I don’t drink so I drove. It’s fun exploring all the back roads to see what beach or restaurants you end up at. Have fun

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Any suggestions on tour from Cancun to Isla Mujeres?

Thank you Partygirl :) I think I will just try ferry by ourselves this time as an adventure. The only thing I worried was the long waiting time, we stay at Hotel Zone, the first ferry will be at 9:00 am, not sure if it will be crowded by then.

And if we don't want to rent a golf cart, is it possible to walk around there? Or can we just hop on a cab? We don't drink a lot, but we do like to stop somewhere have drinks from time to time :)

Thanks again!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Any suggestions on tour from Cancun to Isla Mujeres?

Yes it is walkable but to a certain point. It’s too far a walk to go to the turtle farm and others. So if you want to explore the island rent a golf cart. If you are ok with just the beach and the town don’t rent the cart. Yes the best way to visit Isla go on your own.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,880 posts
262 reviews
8. Re: Any suggestions on tour from Cancun to Isla Mujeres?

If you get to the ticket window 20-30 minutes ahead of departure, you will have no problem getting tickets for the early ferry. There can be a line up for getting off the ferry, though, at certain times.

If you do what we did, you dont' have to worry about the drinking/golf cart issue:

Got golf cart, headed to turtle farm, then to Pont Sur, the wonderful park at th south end of the island, walked around it, then went back to 'The Joint' a cute bar/restaurant we passed, and had cervezas (just one each!) and nachos for an early snack/lunch. We then continued around the ocean side of the island, and finally back into 'town' - we turned in the golf cart early, and then visited the shops, had a few more beers and some shrimp tacos, etc.

denver,co
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
24 reviews
9. Re: Any suggestions on tour from Cancun to Isla Mujeres?

In Cancun right now. Just talked to front desk at the Paradisus. Gonna take the R1 bus to Puerto Jaruez Wednesday. Only a buck each as opposed to $14 Tortuga. Runs from 530am to 9pm. A golf cart is $40 for the day.

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
326 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: Any suggestions on tour from Cancun to Isla Mujeres?

fflbrgst,that's pretty much our itinerary to a tee

Reply to: Any suggestions on tour from Cancun to Isla Mujeres?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted