We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety thought

atlanta
Level Contributor
36 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Safety thought

My son and his fiance are booked to Cancun for their honeymoon next year so I have been reading up on Cancun. All I see is about the violence. Then I read one article that mentions there are over 3 million tourists a year to Cancun. None of which have been targeted. Am I wrong to think that they are as safe there as at home? Our news every night is about someone being murdered usually in the same general area of town. Stay out of those places and your odds of avoiding trouble go up significantly. Or I am being alive and it really is not a good place to go?

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Loma Bonita Cancun
Horseback Riding Tours
Queen Angel
Sightseeing Tours
Best Day
Sightseeing Tours
15 replies to this topic
atlanta
Level Contributor
36 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety thought

Meant an I being naive.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
220 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety thought

I think each person has their own tolerance. There is not right or wrong answer. It is true that violence has increased in this area, and at times has encroached upon tourist areas as well. There have been multiple shootings on the beach, robberies at resorts, etc. No tourists have been targeted, but of course that doesn't mean much when bullets are flying. That being said, it has not made me cancel my plans to vacation in the area, only to know to be more aware and keep my wits about me. The chances of encountering violence are still slim for a tourist IMHO. Obviously don't go looking for trouble or buying drugs, etc. - but also be aware of your surroundings! Just because you FEEL safe does not mean you ARE perfectly safe. I plan to avoid beach vendors on my next visit, as the beach shootings have been targeting these vendors in the past. Will probably also stay on my resort, but I've also been to the area so many times I've seen most of everything. If I was visiting for the first time I would not hesitate to partake in an excursion, but to be safe only during the day and with a reputable company that picks me up at my hotel and drops me back off. Some would say these precautions are too much, some would say they would never even go to the area now. It's all up to what is right for your son and his comfort level.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
220 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety thought

And you are being the opposite of naive - researching and asking these questions is arming yourself with the information you need to make an informed decision (or in your case informed advice to your son and his fiancee). Kudos to you for that.

Edited: 02 August 2018, 19:24
Baltimore
Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety thought

My friend got back from Cancun, and reported she passed out from having 1 drink. Now I am getting nervous. This woman is certainly not a “party” type. More like 1 cocktail with dinner. We were planning on going over Christmas-I am seriously rethinking our plans.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
4,915 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety thought

To the OP has anyone been murdered in Atlanta this year.

No doubt lots and sadly many will have been innocent people.

Looking at Cancun, although the number of murders is very high take out the drug dealers, gangsters and other criminals there are not many left.

Tourists murdered, you will struggle to find any

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
New Windsor, NY
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety thought

I've been visiting the area for the past 18 years with my children. I am not going back anytime soon. The violence is too common for me to book a trip back. It's so unfortunate, because it is our favorite destination. There was a murder in PDC this week right in the tourist zone. There have been plenty of shootings on the beach during the early morning and broad daylight. The cartel are using wave runners to hit their targets, how can you protect yourself from that?

New Windsor, NY
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety thought

This is from today's paper in Cancun:

Organized crime continues to generate violence in the northern area of Quintana Roo and specifically in Cancun, one of the most important tourist destinations in Latin America.

Proof of this is the 59 executions registered during the last month of July, remaining only one execution to become the most violent month in the history of Cancun.

The month of July exceeded May (50 cases) as the second month of more executions, and remained one of the negative record that belongs to the month of April (60 cases).

Of the 59 people executed during July - one every 12 hours - 54 were men, a record figure for this city since never before had so many men been executed (the historical figure belonged to April with 53). Also during this month 4 more women were killed, to raise the total number to 40 in this 2018.

The days 19 and 27 of July were the ones with the highest number of executions, when registering 6, highlighting the armed attack against a restaurant located in Puerto Juarez that left 5 dead, among them the ministerial police Juan Carlos Morales López.

In addition, during this month of July it registered the first execution inside an educational institution, after the student Jorge Gabriel Gómez Martín, was shot down of at least 6 bullet impacts in the facilities of the Inter-American University for Development (UNID). ), located on Kabah Avenue, in Supermanzana 38.

It should be noted that this month also recorded the first arrest of persons directly related in some execution at the time of the events. It is Henry "N" and Daniel "N" who were insured after being seen dragging a body executed by Supermanzana streets 247. At the moment both subjects were already linked to the process.

It should be noted that the number of executions in 2018 at the end of July stood at 315, a historic record for Cancun and that exceeds by 88 cases accounted for throughout the year 2017.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Quintana Roo
Quintana Roo
Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico
Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
151 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety thought

I’ve been going 1-2 times every years since 2010 and I will keep going. As others have posted, you should do your research and decide if you want to go still. Don’t let the people on here sway you one way or the other. Just find the facts and make a decision.

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
3,371 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety thought

I am not a tourist but a resident. I am not afraid for my family or my safety in Cancun. I respect the laws and do not participate with or in illegal activities. We do watch the news from the US and the random violence constantly reported is way more concerning to my family and me. My friend from highschool lost her niece in the school shooting in Florida. When Alyssa's parents sent her off to school that morning the last thing they thought was she would be shot and killed. Now if you are involved in the drug trade and head off to work and get killed that is a risk you take that your family must be prepared for. I would not change my vacation in Cancun because of the very specific violence that has been reported. I still go about my business all over Cancun and feel very safe.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Florida
Florida
United States
San Diego...
Level Contributor
812 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety thought

To the OP:

Whatever article your read gave you undoubtedly erroneous information. There are actually well over 25 million plus visitors to the Yucatán yearly. Guess what? Not a single homicide from cartel violence. You’re more likely to drown than be a victim of violence in Cancun. These are pure facts and easily obtained with a internet search.

I’ve traveled to far more dangerous areas of Mexico and walked late at night alone without incident. Despite the increase in violence in the region you’re unlikely to be a victim of violent crime so go enjoy your trip. You likely will enjoy yourself and will probably return.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Reply to: Safety thought
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted