We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What should a family with kids pack for our trip?

Cerritos, CA
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What should a family with kids pack for our trip?

Hi! Leaving next week to visit Cancún for the first time. We plan to do the typical beach/snorkel/ruins touristy stuff. What little things do you recommend we bring in addition to sunscreen and swimsuits?

I’d hate to waste time and money trying to procure these while on vacation

11 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What should a family with kids pack for our trip?

Definitely pack plenty of sunscreen as it is nearly triple the price in most resorts. Not sure the ages of your children but I would definitely recommend packing beach toys and pool floats (most resorts we’ve stayed at blow up my kids floats for them). I would also recommend bringing drink tumblrs to keep your beverages nice and cool while at the pool or on excursions. Hope this helps... enjoy your trip :)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
838 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What should a family with kids pack for our trip?

I’d like to imagine it’s probably not too difficult to obtain whatever you need in Cancun as the resorts have everything you need.

Bug spray you should definitely try to bring.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,940 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What should a family with kids pack for our trip?

I'd suggest water shoes or flip flops. They are more expensive, too. Several bathing suits and cover ups for each child.

Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Puerto Aventuras, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
6,639 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What should a family with kids pack for our trip?

Also hats for everyone. If you don’t want to be wasting time running to the drug store bring things like gravol, bandaids, bug spray, tums, anti itch cream, something for sun burn, Imodium, benedryl, polysporin etc. Things you may not need but if you do will be quick to grab.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
218 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What should a family with kids pack for our trip?

Yes, sunscreen and bug spray, and only take half as many clothes as you think you need! You may also want to pack a couple inflatable rafts for the kids in the pool.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What should a family with kids pack for our trip?

All of the above. Also their favorite snack and a bottle of water on your handbag to apease cranky kids bc they are thirsty or hungry or the line to buy whatever is too long.

I'd request a room with easy access to the pool/beach area and make sure you have at least a fridge in the room to keep snacks on hand. Young kids have a different hunger timetable than adults.

Cerritos, CA
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: What should a family with kids pack for our trip?

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I’ll fecinitely Dd those to our kit.

Should we take any towels or snorkel gear?

Boston...
Level Contributor
178 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What should a family with kids pack for our trip?

We bring Turkish towels - bought a six pack on Amazon. They are lightweight, dry quickly, and don’t retain smells. We pack them in our carryon and use as blankets on the plane and then at the resort to cover loungers, to cover ourselves when we’ve had too much sun, etc. absolutely love them. We do use the regular resort pool towels for actually drying off.

Also recommend a small container of baby powder if you plan on spending lots of time at the beach. It works wonders for getting damp sand off damp skin to avoid bathing suit rashes.

Westlock, Canada
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: What should a family with kids pack for our trip?

Don’t bother bringing towels or beach toys. The resorts will have towels and beach toys take up room and are cheap and available everywhere.

For sure sunscreen and any over the counter medications you may need.

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
3,375 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What should a family with kids pack for our trip?

I always travel with a thermometer in Fahrenheit just in case one of the kids gets a fever along with Tylenol and Benadryl as mentioned above. My son always brings a deflated soccer ball and a small pump to play soccer on the beach. My daughter pool toys and floats. They are so much cheaper at a dollar store than at a resort. Then we just give them to another family when we leave. Some people said pack less clothes, I don't bother with laundry while on vacation and with the heat and humidity of summer, I bring extra clothes for my kids. By mid day their first set of clothes are sandy and salty or just sweaty! Zinc and Aloe are good just in case they get sunburned. Enjoy your vacation!!

Reply to: What should a family with kids pack for our trip?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted