We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Mexico with a British/Schengen visa

Cardiff, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Travelling to Mexico with a British/Schengen visa

Has anybody been to Mexico on a foreign passport with a British or a Schengen visa? The Mexican embassy told me I do not need a Mexican visa but is that true? What is the experience like at immigration? I have an Indian passport with both British and Schengen visa but I'm afraid I will be denied entry.

6 replies to this topic
Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
286 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Mexico with a British/Schengen visa

I would go with what the Mexican embassy said as fact rather than asking in an Internet forum.

Caribbean
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
8,913 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Mexico with a British/Schengen visa

According to the information I have, the information you received from the Embassy is correct.

Citizens of India require a visa, but are exempt with supporting document proving that you are permanent citizen in the USA, Canada, Japan, UK, or any member country of the Schengen Area.

You will need to complete the FMM tourist card (all visitors must complete this form) -- it should be handed out on the plane about an hour or so before landing. You should also get a Customs form on the plane. Carry a pen so you can complete the forms on the plane. If you don't get the forms on the plane, they are available inside Cancun airport. And if you land at Cancun Terminal 4, you don't need the Customs form. These forms are also available on-line so you can complete them at home, print them and bring them with you.

Cardiff, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Mexico with a British/Schengen visa

Thanks for your input. But I have read horror stories of people having done everything the embassy said and then getting turned away at immigration. So again, as expressed in my question, I’d appreciate replies from people in the same position as me.

Cardiff, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Mexico with a British/Schengen visa

Thank you so much

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
286 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to Mexico with a British/Schengen visa

The unfortunate thing about going through immigration in most countries is the lack of consistency. People with DWI’s have the same issues driving from the US into Canada. Some officers won’t let them through and others will. It really depends on which immigration officer you get and whether or not they’re having a good day. I would recommend getting the info from the Mexican embassy in writing, and also get a contact name and number that you can call from immigration should you have any problems.

Pune, India
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to Mexico with a British/Schengen visa

Yes, you do not need a Mexican Visa if you have a Schengen VISA. We were in Cancun in May this year, and one of my friend had a Schengen VISA. It wasn't much a problem. Just keep your Documents ready in case they are asked for. Just complete the FMM tourist card, it will be handed out on the flight itself. Also the form is available inside Cancun airport.

I was there for 3 days in May this year. check out the photos of my trip below :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKQYEQr-GcA

Reply to: Travelling to Mexico with a British/Schengen visa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted