We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Area?

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
958 posts
5 reviews
Best Area?

Hello, this will be my first time to Cancun and to Mexico!

Looking to stay in an apartment/condo/small hotel where we can walk out and about to restaurants and shopping easily. Close to beach is a plus but not a necessity.

Any recommendations appreciated!

Fendi Boutique
Gift & Speciality Shops
Boutique Cartier
Gift & Speciality Shops
4 replies to this topic
San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Best Area?

Cancun is an extremely large area geographically. You should probably stay within the hotel zone. The hotel is kind of shaped like the number seven. Most of the shopping restaurants and bars are at the top of the 7.

Most travelers stay at AI’s. Most travelers do not stay in downtown Cancun. The RIU is close to shopping and entertainment. So you may want to begin there and work your way down (south) the 7 shaped hotel zone.

Level Contributor
364 posts
661 reviews
2. Re: Best Area?

Why not go to real Mexico instead? And, the lagoon is full of crocodiles.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
958 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Best Area?

I try to avoid AI’s... just not my thing.

I actually have friends who live in downtown Cancun that we will be spending time with, that’s why we are going there:)

I’m curious about Puerto Juarez? Is it mainly residential? Are there much for restaurants and shops in the area?

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Best Area?

Public buses are the mode of transportation in the hotel zone. Very inexpensive. No need to walk. There's a small hotel in km 5.5 that's not too expensive and also walking distance to Playa Langosta. I believe it's named something Real. It's on the lagoon side of the road. Also across the street there's Casa Maya great beach and make sure it has at least a microwave and coffemaker.

Reply to: Best Area?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted